SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which OSC Camera

wsteel33

Yes, astrophotographers must remeber to ask for the AR-coated version. My old ASI071MC had no built in IR filter so I always used it with a filter (like a Baader or ZWO lum filter). A bit akward with some set ups where it was difficult to fit in a filter.

6 hours ago, wimvb said:

Interesting thread.

@wsteel33 does your camera have an AR coated window or the IR block window? RisingCam specifies the IR block window to have transmission up to 650 nm, which is just below the Ha line.

I got the AR window. I can always put an IR cut filter on myself. I use filters (Altair Astro Triband & Skytech CLS-CCD) which have the appropriate IR cut off.

I read reviews of people who got this camera with the IR/UV cut window and they still seem happy with thier purchase but I thought the AR made sense and left me flexibility.

Very happy with the camera. especially at this price. 👍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wsteel33 said:

I got the AR window. I can always put an IR cut filter on myself. I use filters (Altair Astro Triband & Skytech CLS-CCD) which have the appropriate IR cut off.

I read reviews of people who got this camera with the IR/UV cut window and they still seem happy with thier purchase but I thought the AR made sense and left me flexibility.

Very happy with the camera. especially at this price. 👍

A relief to hear that you made the right choice! But they should have a warning about the wrong one. We are now all eagerly waiting for your reports when skies get dark and clear!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gorann said:

We are now all eagerly waiting for your reports when skies get dark and clear!

Hi Goran

My initial thoughts are earlier in this thread, but that was only really based on a single night of good data (after a few false starts that were my own fault).

I plan to give an update when I have had a proper chance to put it through its paces.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I know its been a long time coming but the skies have been awful.

I finally have my second proper image taken with the RisingCam IMX571 and I LOVE THIS CAMERA.

It works seemlessly in EKOS the attached image was taken with flats and bias but no darks. There is absolutely no ampglow with this camera the controls are untuitive and it is some of the best money I have spent. I can happily recommend this to anyone who is looking for a camera with this Sony Chip but can't stretch to the £1600-2000 that is being asked for ZWO 2600 mcPro or the Altair Astro version.

I am still playing with the settings (and learning) and took a bunch of images before I realised I had to change the settings to RAW in INDI to get 16 bit images. I set the mode to HDR which puts the Gain to 100 (which i believe is the optimum for this chip)

But, to cut a long story short I am very happy with this camera and think it will serve my purposes for a long time yet. if you are thinking of grabbing one you'd get my nod.

Clear skies 🙂🌑🪐

Heart20hr_v1.jpg

• Like 3