SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skymaster pro 20X80 £140?

Just found skymaster pro 20X80's at £140 on Amazon (£139.58 to be precise), some £25 less than the 15X70's . Thought I'd let you know as I think its a very good price (I couldn't resist it). Of course, what arrives is another matter, but Amazon are supposedly good on returns.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeOram said:

Woops - forgot my question. They are down as "Arrow Celestron" 72031. The model number is the same, but is there a difference between "Celestron" and "Arrow Celestron"?

I did a quick google, and couldn't really find any reference to 'Arrow Celestron' outside the Amazon listings. The model number is correct from the Celestron website, and the binoculars are sold by Amazon themselves (at an absolute bargain price) so unlikely to be a fake. If I didn't already have a pair of Helios 20x80 I'd have ordered by now.

19 hours ago, MikeOram said:

Thanks Shimrod. I couldn't find anything about "Arrow Celestron" either. But £140 is an all too appealing price. I'll see what comes...

+1

Long time waiting for a opportunity to resist! Fingers crossed!!

I had a look and couldn't find them at that price. I did find them at £135 however but it was an odd description. Selecting the "20x80" option left the title as 15x70 but everything else referenced 20x80 so I ordered them. Amazon returns make it easy to send back if they're not right though....

8 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Mine turned up just fine and dandy, bargain for £135 I guess.....

Glad it worked out for you, definitely a good deal at the price. With all the cloud and poor weather we've had over the last 12 months my Helios 20x80 have seen a lot more action than any telescope - great for those 20minute gap in the clouds sessions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scotty38 said:

Had an hour or so scanning around last night and really pleased with them. The forecast had been cloud but I should have set the scope up as it turned out to be not cloudy at all....

So how are they? They sound like an absolute bargain.

5 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

So how are they? They sound like an absolute bargain.

Really pleased I bought them but I only have my 8x42 Opticrons to compare with which I think I paid about £400 for 10 years ago. Compared with those and in daylight I could see colour around say a tree branch against the sky, not a huge amount but it was there. No such issues once it was "dark" and only my lack of knowledge of the night sky hindered me so I'll take a book out next time to give me some star hopping clues. I did notice stars weren't sharp to the edge of the field but if I wore my glasses to correct astigmatism I couldn't see to the edge anyway even with the cap folded down.

Having said all that I'm happy, particularly given the price. I had been hanging my nose over a pair of Helios at around £500 so would be interesting to know what improvement they would bring....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Really pleased I bought them but I only have my 8x42 Opticrons to compare with which I think I paid about £400 for 10 years ago. Compared with those and in daylight I could see colour around say a tree branch against the sky, not a huge amount but it was there. No such issues once it was "dark" and only my lack of knowledge of the night sky hindered me so I'll take a book out next time to give me some star hopping clues. I did notice stars weren't sharp to the edge of the field but if I wore my glasses to correct astigmatism I couldn't see to the edge anyway even with the cap folded down.

Having said all that I'm happy, particularly given the price. I had been hanging my nose over a pair of Helios at around £500 so would be interesting to know what improvement they would bring....

At this price I have given in and ordered some as well - I won't have to share mine with Mrs Shimrod any more 😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

At this price I have given in and ordered some as well - I won't have to share mine with Mrs Shimrod any more 😀

Nice one. Do you have experience of more costly binos and how much improvement we'd see with say the Helios LightQuest?

6 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Nice one. Do you have experience of more costly binos and how much improvement we'd see with say the Helios LightQuest?

I don't - I have a pair of Helios Stellar II which cost the same as the Skymaster 20x80 should have done, so it will be interesting to see a side by side comparison. I would expect the more expensive binoculars to demonstrate less CA. and perhaps a bit of extra sharpness. It's worth checking out  the reviews on the Binocularsky website if you can not done so.

Hi! I received mine last sunday.

As far as I can tell, the binoculars were in good condition, apparently well collimated, only a little glue like patch near one of the prism housing, but I think this not going to affect the vision.

Compared to an BA8 MS 15x70 unit, may be a bit less sharper in daylight and a warmer image, but not very obstrusive, less sweetspot more noticeable looking at the stars, but we have to bear in mind that BA8 model cost at least double!

Las night I made a quick scan with the binocular mounted to M44 and I was pleased with the views even thought the astronomical twilight haven`t been started and from my class 9 bortle location.

Looking forward to see how it performs under darker skies, but despite I wasn`t looking for a such a big binocular and at this magnification, all in all having in consideration this sale price, I am quite satified for the momment.

One thing I have to deal with is to find the way to attach a 1,25" UHC filter to the plastic eyeguards.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for the clouds to move, but mine seem fine at least at twilight looking across the Tay. Glad others managed to get what I think of as a bargain. I wouldn't expect them to be as sharp/little CA etc as the Helios lightquest.

Nimrod - I'd love to know how they compare with the stellar II...

21 hours ago, MikeOram said:

I'm still waiting for the clouds to move, but mine seem fine at least at twilight looking across the Tay. Glad others managed to get what I think of as a bargain. I wouldn't expect them to be as sharp/little CA etc as the Helios lightquest.

Nimrod - I'd love to know how they compare with the stellar II...

Amazon managed to send my binoculars to the wrong end of the country, but I have now received them. I will hopefully get a chance to compare to the Helios over the weekend.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

The ones I bought are still available although they're now £210 instead of £135.......

I only paid £128 for mine although they dropped to £121 on 8th June - Amazon price history I don't understand Amazon's pricing strategy but I'm not complaining....

• Like 1