Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra Superview eyepieces, 56mm Plossl

Ags

I am thinking about picking up  a few cheap and light 2 inch eyepieces to use in my f10 C6. The 30mm and 42mm StellaLyra Superviews both weigh less than 300g, so I'm interested? Would these produce good (plossl quality) views across the full FOV at f10?

To complete my potential 2 inch set, maybe I  can add the Astro Essentials 56mm plossl? Has anyone tried this? I imagine the eye relief is tricky...

I'm aware there will be vignetting, given the small size of the SCT inner baffle.

At f/10 they will all probably work well out to about 5% or 10% from the field stop.  I'm not sure why you'd want to buy 30mm, 42mm, and 56mm eyepieces, though.  Would it be to cover a range of exit pupils (3.0mm, 4.2mm, and 5.6mm) for nebula filter usage?

I'd recommend getting the 35mm Aero ED if you can find one in stock (TS-Optics sells as the UFL 69° as well).  It, along with the rest of the line (30mm and 40mm) tend to perform better than the GSO Superviews even at f/10.  That, and you'll nearly maximize your true field of view (TFOV) with the 35mm Aero ED's 44.4mm field stop diameter.

• Like 1

I guess it depends if you want to future proof yourself for use in a faster scope. I have the 30mm GSO version of the superview, and it's okay ish at F7.5, but I have very recently acquired the 35mm Aero ED (TS-Optics UFL 69° version, oddly named "Paracor" on the barrel) as it's pretty much universally pointed out that the Aero ED will perform much better in my F6 (when it arrives).

• 1 month later...

I used to have a Revelation 42mm Superview and used it in an f10 refractor. It was great as a finder eyepiece but the outer parts of the field were not the best and the field edge was not very well defined. I also tried a William Optics 40mm Swan which was a lot better but still showed some field distortion at the edges. I now use a Baader 36mm Aspheric which I am very pleased with, though the scope I use it with is at f11. I think for faster instruments you have either got to put up with a little edge distortion or save up the pennies and invest in one of the high end widefield eyepieces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2021 at 23:36, Ags said:

I am thinking about picking up  a few cheap and light 2 inch eyepieces to use in my f10 C6. The 30mm and 42mm StellaLyra Superviews both weigh less than 300g, so I'm interested? Would these produce good (plossl quality) views across the full FOV at f10?

To complete my potential 2 inch set, maybe I  can add the Astro Essentials 56mm plossl? Has anyone tried this? I imagine the eye relief is tricky...

I'm aware there will be vignetting, given the small size of the SCT inner baffle.

Hi @Ags

Can I ask if you went anywhere with this?  In particular the Astro Essentials 56mm in your f10 C6?

I have measured my dilated pupil at 5.75mm and I'm thinking about one of these in my C8 f10.5 for filtered nebula viewing in dark skies with exit pupil of 5.3mm.
I know it won't show any more sky than my 40mm EP, but it's the bigger exit pupil I'm after.

Thanks