Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen Custom-80M - joining the new/old refractor club

A very nice chap was selling this locally on Facebook and I managed to get first shout on it. I don't know if he is on this site, but if he is - "hello there"!

I posted a pic on the Astro Lounge forum earlier, but I thought I'd start its own thread, as I have a few questions about it. @Johnkindly sent a link to a gushing review on an Italian website. I haven't had a chance with first-light yet, but I might be able to get that done tonight, if I pull my finger out. It came with a Vixen Super Polaris mount and tripod, but that has seen better days. I night try and fix it up over the summer.

Anyway, here are some pics:

IMG_20210531_195737031.jpg

IMG_20210531_195746182.jpg

IMG_20210531_195823005.jpg

IMG_20210531_195842729.jpg

IMG_20210531_200123785.jpg

• Like 7

One quick question for starters - for anyone who has/had one: I tried to remove the dew-shield but it only appears to unscrew. However, I can see that the lens cell appears to rotate with it, so I'm a little worried I will end up removing that too. Can the dew-shield be removed without loosening the lens cell?

• Thanks 1

It looks in excellent shape !

While .965 inch fitting, those eyepieces are pretty good quality. The H.M (Huygenian-Mittenzwey) is a little tight on eye relief though.

I've owned a couple of Vixen 102's and the dew shield pushed on and off the objective cell with those, with felt pads to hold it in place. Not sure about the 80M though :icon_scratch:

A nice classic telescope. These used to be very popular in the mid-80s. I have the 60mm f/15 version of the same focal length. On mine, the lens cell is actually fixed in the dew shield, so when you unscrew it, the cell would come with it. This is necessary if you need to remove the tube rings. Yours looks like new condition from the photos!

Got it fixed onto the ST80's rings temporarily. I'll need to source the correct bolts for the Vixen rings and a new dovetail.

image.png.0aa35427c031ae9662ed296e4a5e4425.png

Hopefully the clouds will stay away now!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Got it fixed onto the ST80's rings temporarily. I'll need to source the correct bolts for the Vixen rings and a new dovetail.

image.png.0aa35427c031ae9662ed296e4a5e4425.png

Hopefully the clouds will stay away now!

Looking good! Skies look clear over much of the country so I hope you get first light with it tonight.

I've also just received a Vixen Custom 80M. Very good condition.

Mine takes 1.25" eyepieces. I haven't managed to separate the dew shield, as mentioned, it seem to be fitted to the objective cell, which unscrews from the tube.

I intend to use it for solar imaging, particularly with the CaK filter which needs a >f10 input beam.

I've replaced the focuser with a 2" Crayford (needed for the CaK filter size) and used one of the original Vixen rings as a support for a focus motor ( which I find mandatory!)

So far, the results are very promising.

P1090889s.jpg

P1090890s.jpg

Sun_102806.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just in from first light.

It's probably a wee bit too long for the mount/tripod I have: an AZ5 on a Manfrotto 055. I have to wait 5 seconds or so after focusing for the vibrations to stop. I'll see if I can improve that with different configurations.

Anyway. I thought I'd try some doubles in Bootes.

Started with Izar. Seeing OK, but not perfect. I could get the secondary popping in and out outside of the primary's diffraction ring. The colour differences were clear, larger yellow and smaller green. At times, the split was clear. x114

Xi Boo. Easy split at x45, even when tiny. The contrast is a real contrast (sorry) to the view in the dob.

Next was Alkalurops (Mu Boo). Nearer the zenith, the seeing was much better. This looked fantastic - again at x114. The tight pair of the triple was clearly split, even though they were tiny and much fainter. 

Finally I thought I'd have a shot at Delta Cygni. No luck with this one. The seeing wasn't great, viewing the double over rooftops. At times I thought there was a bulging in the diffraction ring at "9 o'clock", but nothing obvious.

All in all I was very impressed. I replaced the visual back with the one off my ST80, which meant I could use my usual diagonal and EPs. I tried the 0.96" ones, but the view was tiny. 

The finder need some attention. I'm not sure what's happened to the crosshairs - perhaps it's dust or cobwebs, possible some cracks/damage though. Also, I can't easily adjust the finder angle using the 3 screws. I'm not keen to try and disassemble it without seeking advice either, as things are tight or stuck. I'll have a look online for any user manuals.

But the scope itself is great. 

• Like 1

Sorted out the finder. externally, it looks similar to a modern Vixen-type, but it's completely different. 

What you think might be just the holder bracket, is actually part of the finder. The eyepiece unscrews from the holder:

image.png.a1c9289d376629eaddcbe29152cafb26.png

To reveal the cross-hairs, which are a separate unit - in this case with additional cobweb:

image.png.481680feb8ea53bf8c47d0fd1cfd82f9.png

Once cleaned and re-inserted, you can see how the 3 adjusters (complete with lock nuts), move just the cross-hairs within the finder's optical tube!

image.png.b757c247914de945573da341b7890e75.png

Focusing appears to be done by adjusting the objective end, but I need to get hold of a really really small allen key first!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pixies said:

One quick question for starters - for anyone who has/had one: I tried to remove the dew-shield but it only appears to unscrew. However, I can see that the lens cell appears to rotate with it, so I'm a little worried I will end up removing that too. Can the dew-shield be removed without loosening the lens cell?

Great classic scope👍  On my Vixen 80m the dew shield simply pulls off the lens cell.  However mine is one of the very early versions. The pics below show the earlier label and the collimatable lens cell.  Having pulled off the dew shield the lens cell unscrews as a unit from the tube, this does not disturb the 2 lens elements.  Be careful when screwing the cell on, the threads are very fine.

You’ll find that Delta Cygni is a tough call with this scope, but very steady conditions with Delta Cygni high overhead can bring success.  Don’t be afraid to ramp up the magnification !   If you need to know more please ask.

Ed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ah ha! perhaps it's the difference in temperature, but now the dew shield comes off very easily, leaving the (non-collimatable) lens cell behind. That wasn't happening yesterday:

image.png.e1640810d0861b77c95dcffb6d5c65df.png

3 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Ah ha! perhaps it's the difference in temperature, but now the dew shield comes off very easily, leaving the (non-collimatable) lens cell behind. That wasn't happening yesterday:

image.png.e1640810d0861b77c95dcffb6d5c65df.png

Great you had success 👍. Further pic below of the collimateable cell on my very early version.

image.jpg