92335031_Perseidsmeteorshowerbanner.jpg.f082cb58353bce3cc854fb958f76fc98.jpg

Baader planetarium b-ccd filter(blue!) stacked with baader planetarium 35nm hydrogen alpha filter . OOOOOOPS.

So  yea.   I added a baader planetarium hydrogen alpha filter to my baader planetarium blue ccd filter and  bada boom.  a ton of h-alpha light out of my blue filter!

How embarrassing, yet extraordinarily remarkable that nobody else noticed this.

spacer.png  spacer.png

This isn't really a surprise.  Most filters have some out of band transmission (this is usually referenced as their optical density (OD) value).  Even the best filters transmit some light out of the desired passband even if it is a tiny fraction of a percent.  If you put the filter in front of a very bright source then you will inevitably see the leakage (a fraction of a high luminosity can still be a high value etc).  Even Baader don't claim a perfect filter (you can see some leakage in their filter profiles). Nevertheless for RGB filters you use these primarily to obtain colour data of a broad ban image so some limited leakage can be OK as it isn't the dominant component.  Also you can expose on G2V stars to get a 'correct' colour balance (for our eyes) anyway which would remove any leakage impacts.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

This isn't really a surprise.  Most filters have some out of band transmission (this is usually referenced as their optical density (OD) value).  Even the best filters transmit some light out of the desired passband even if it is a tiny fraction of a percent.  If you put the filter in front of a very bright source then you will inevitably see the leakage (a fraction of a high luminosity can still be a high value etc).  Even Baader don't claim a perfect filter (you can see some leakage in their filter profiles). Nevertheless for RGB filters you use these primarily to obtain colour data of a broad ban image so some limited leakage can be OK as it isn't the dominant component.  Also you can expose on G2V stars to get a 'correct' colour balance (for our eyes) anyway which would remove any leakage impacts.  

I understand that.  however this is a bigger mistake than it would seem.

The transmission graph on their website reveals zero leakage in the h-alpha range so it is a bit unusual;  almost as if this is intentional.   You can see the leaks all over the place as you say;  but this is pretty huge and  how could they miss h-alpha transmission with this large of a peak?  Especially for being "the best of the best".

b-ccd-1-1-4-filter-723.jpg

On 31/05/2021 at 15:17, Kitsunegari said:

The transmission graph on their website reveals zero leakage in the h-alpha range so it is a bit unusual;  almost as if this is intentional.   You can see the leaks all over the place as you say;  but this is pretty huge and  how could they miss h-alpha transmission with this large of a peak?  Especially for being "the best of the best".   

But it's not zero and this is where the problem lies.  Most astronomy filters have an OD value of 3 or 4 and for some science 5-6 (it's likely impossible to create one with no light leak).  As such if you have a very bright source (the flu tube) compared to the background then in an OD 3/4 filter enough is likely to be detectable.  On the other hand stars are much fainter in this regard so practically you may not need an OD 5-6 filter and is probably overkill for what we use it for.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quetzalcoatl72
      Below are consecutive raw pictures if the ring nebula I took with my canon 600da and RCT 8" with neq6 pro guided with sharpcaps polar alignment procedure on the 15th of this month at 1am. I have 20 of these all 1600 iso auto wb 2 minute exposures. The problem will become apparent when you closely examine them, tracking is almost completely broken. I only stacked about 8 of them as most of the frames are unusable, some are star trails, some are commas and some are double exposures. This has become standard and getting worse since I tampered with my mounts gears and backlash adjustment. I have never been able to get consecutive 3min exposures on this mount, and I got it new 6 years ago, and only used it less than 30 times. I have spent roughly 20 hours trying to get rid of the backlash, coffee grinding noise and knocking when I press the directional keys to no avail, when the keys are pressed I notice the image wobbles violently. The go-to is also not working to 100% efficiently, I have to do guess work if I want my image centred.

• By David Ettie
      Anyone out there replaced the Motherboard on an Orion GoTO truss tobe Dobsonian, our Societys 16" started giving error messages stating it could not connect to either axis, we ordered and replaced the Motherboard which promptly "burnt" out, we are seeking a repair (believe this is basically a re-branded Skywatcher) any advise or help greatly appreciated.
    • By Rob Glos
      I've been guiding using PHD on my EQ5 & Orion Starshoot Autoguider for a while. I recently hooked up a QHY5-ll to do some planetary work om my main scope using SharpCap (successfully). However since then I've gone back to my deep sky work and the AutoGuiding is now failing with an Error - 22 (sometimes when connecting the camera and sometimes when trying to calibrate). Last night, having got past the error 22 on connection (connected the Orion late after starting the App) I then got an "start didn't move enough" error even though the settings hadn't changed from when I successfully guided (as far as I can remember). Also using the same cables to the same Win10 laptop. Not sure if the QHY camera is a red herring or a possible cause. Any pointers  would be appreciated.
    • By Nuka
      Hi Everyone,
      Just wanted to post my experiences with the Celestron AVX+Advanced GT and Celestron's Firmware Manager (CFM) - Specifically Boot Loader Errors 

I've used Celestron's Advanced GT Mount for a few years and only had a Boot Loader error once. The Good people at FLO re-flashed my handset and away I went. Happy camper
      Before getting in touch with FLO, I tried desperately for days to try and re-flash myself (I've worked as an IT hardware repair technician for years so i'm not an id10T but I am certainly no programmer/software engineer). I used probably every version of CFM available and every version of windows / XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 (also contacted Celestron and had 2 people sending me links to CFM - they couldn't figure it out!) also I should point out i was using 3 different computers AND 2 completely different cables lol.
      I never managed to update my handset due to - freezing / crashing / mount not detected and the general instability of CFM.

Now on to my AVX. I'm very happy with it overall but i've only had it a few weeks. Tonight it threw a Boot Loader error at me (just as i was about to start collecting data on Andromeda )  - very similar if not exactly the same as my older Advanced GT. ahh....SO it's ok i'm thinking!  I just re-flash!

Hmmmm lol now my re-flash worked sort of and I now get "Advanced GT" on the screen with an error 17 "No response invalid model"

Personally I think CFM is JUNK (I've seen more stability/reliability with windows vista and an 8800GT playing Crysis 1 lol) it has taken me 5 years and 2 mounts to come to that conclusion. What are we to do if we plan a trip and the skies are just right - then (BOOT LOADER ERROR) pops up? Anyone else had any similar experiences or feel frustrated by this? Sure if you can re-flash in 10mins then your good to go but what if that ends your trip and AP session? 
      There is no way i'm alone in this 

Thanks for reading and please share your experiences!
      Nuka

• By nddeyne
      A possible solution for the dreaded Bootloader Serial Invalid Pkg 00*0 errors on Celestron HC's, thanks to Carl Randall on the Cloudy Nights forum! Seems to work for all types of mounts (not only AVX)!
      http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/527834-avx-hand-controller-issue/#entry7058700

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.