Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher tripod leg - adjustment thread stripped

UKDiver

Good morning everyone, first post for me here so please bear with me if this is in the wrong area.

I've just tried to use a recently purchased second hand tripod. Unfortunately the thread in the white aluminium(?) cone at the base of the main leg is stripped and thus the inner leg is barely held. Certainly not with the weight of the HEQ5 mount on. Tripod model is https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/sky-watcher-heavy-duty-tripod-for-sky-tee-heq5-eq5.html

With an aim to possible repairing the thread (either bigger bolt or Helicoil type), I thought I would remove the cone to have a look inside and at least clean out the swarf. All four grub screws have been removed, but the cone won't shift. Some gentle percussion with a rubber mallet did not shift it. I'm not yet at the point of putting it in boiling water as I can't even get the rubber foot off the inner leg.

Does any one have any idea how this part comes off?

Adrian

Can’t remember who but one of our lady members did a mod on one of those tripods and she had a bit of difficulty removing that part. Hopefully she may spot your post or maybe you could do a search in the DIY section. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 30/05/2021 at 15:59, banjaxed said:

Can’t remember who but one of our lady members did a mod on one of those tripods and she had a bit of difficulty removing that part. Hopefully she may spot your post or maybe you could do a search in the DIY section. Good luck.

Thank you Banjaxed. Unfortunately I could not find a post of this tripod, only threads on other types.

FLO suggested I could get a replacement leg from Astroboot, but at E39 plus postage, that seems like a sledge hammer to squeeze a nut. The German's are lucky in that there is legislation requiring spares to made available to the public.

So it looks like I'll be tapping M10 for a slightly bigger knob.

Adrian

I would cer

35 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Thank you Banjaxed. Unfortunately I could not find a post of this tripod, only threads on other types.

FLO suggested I could get a replacement leg from Astroboot, but at E39 plus postage, that seems like a sledge hammer to squeeze a nut. The German's are lucky in that there is legislation requiring spares to made available to the public.

So it looks like I'll be tapping M10 for a slightly bigger knob.

Adrian

Re-tapping the thread to M10 is definitely the correct way to go and much the easier option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Soligor Rob said:

Re-tapping the thread to M10 is definitely the correct way to go and much the easier option.

There's the added excitement of buying new tools and using them to do something I've not done for nearly 40 years! :)

• Haha 2

On 30/05/2021 at 11:35, UKDiver said:

Good morning everyone, first post for me here so please bear with me if this is in the wrong area.

I've just tried to use a recently purchased second hand tripod. Unfortunately the thread in the white aluminium(?) cone at the base of the main leg is stripped and thus the inner leg is barely held. Certainly not with the weight of the HEQ5 mount on. Tripod model is https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/sky-watcher-heavy-duty-tripod-for-sky-tee-heq5-eq5.html

With an aim to possible repairing the thread (either bigger bolt or Helicoil type), I thought I would remove the cone to have a look inside and at least clean out the swarf. All four grub screws have been removed, but the cone won't shift. Some gentle percussion with a rubber mallet did not shift it. I'm not yet at the point of putting it in boiling water as I can't even get the rubber foot off the inner leg.

Does any one have any idea how this part comes off?

Adrian

Just wondering if this will be used for imaging or observing?

If imaging, it’s probably not as relevant because the lower tripod will be more stable and you don't need the height to see through the eyepiece.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, iapa said:

Just wondering if this will be used for imaging or observing?

If imaging, it’s probably not as relevant because the lower tripod will be more stable and you don't need the height to see through the eyepiece.

That's a fair question Iapa.

There is a sweetspot in one point of the sloping garden that does not need this particular leg to be adjusted. However I can't yet be sure it's useful as I've not seen Polaris for nearly three weeks - as long as I've had the kit. I understand this is a typical situation. :D

The scope's (200PDS) eyepiece is fairly high, I'm on the shorter side, so all three legs don't need top be extended much. Not being able to adjust this leg is likely to seriously impact on the flexibility of location, even in a small garden. So I will have to fix it.

Adrian

45 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

That's a fair question Iapa.

There is a sweetspot in one point of the sloping garden that does not need this particular leg to be adjusted. However I can't yet be sure it's useful as I've not seen Polaris for nearly three weeks - as long as I've had the kit. I understand this is a typical situation. :D

The scope's (200PDS) eyepiece is fairly high, I'm on the shorter side, so all three legs don't need top be extended much. Not being able to adjust this leg is likely to seriously impact on the flexibility of location, even in a small garden. So I will have to fix it.

Adrian

Or,

use the sun to find north rotate the tripod as necessary and level. If you can do that with out extending the duff leg - sorted.

A replacement tripod is c£120: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/sky-watcher-heavy-duty-tripod-for-sky-tee-heq5-eq5.html

Edited by iapa

I managed to take apart my eq6 tripod, heated all the Ali parts not the legs! Tapped them off with chunk of wood so as not to damage the Ali foots and top hinges.

I too found some funny glue inside the ends, going to replace with external silicon sealant.

I wanted to replace the metal legs with stainless steel, but I since found out they don’t mix with Ali, so I will re-assemble and repaint it all, even the legs, with Matt black enamel.

Well I didn't have an 8.5m bit to drill out the hole, but 8mm was enough given it was ali being tapped.

If anyone else finds they've stripped a thread, it's not a big deal to repair. If you're within a few miles of Exeter, I'll do it again (at your risk!) - I've a spare knob or two. ;)

Job done. Now let's hope Polaris shines out along with a few other mates. :)

1 hour ago, UKDiver said:

Well I didn't have an 8.5m bit to drill out the hole, but 8mm was enough given it was ali being tapped.

Well done on the successful work.

1 hour ago, UKDiver said:

Job done. Now let's hope Polaris shines out along with a few other mates. :)

Not a chance, putting yourself in the position of being able to do your PA, you have precluded all chance of clear skies for several days. image.png.7f3192cd35d9bdaea94ec2c9f2126708.png

• Haha 1