SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky Way delights!

Kon

In my last post I said I will not be viewing or writing another nebula report until later in the summer....well that did not last long!.....With the moon not rising until later and with clear warm skies I decided try the Milky Way; I know that it is a late summer viewing area but I could not wait. I mostly used my 25mm with the OIII and occasionally the 15mm.  Waiting for the MW to rise, I revisited some old favourites to test the viewing; I started with M57 followed by the Veil. Both East and West Veil looked great with clear filaments (it gave me confidence viewing was good). I then had a look at the N America nebula and I think seeing was much better than last time.

I then visited Scorpio and I saw the Blue Horsehead nebula again. Last time I struggled with the conditions to see the IC 4604 (Oph Nebula). This time nebulosity around the three stars was obvious (I used my 15mm EP without filter here). M4 and M80 looked great and some individual stars could be made but the core was mostly unresolved.

Finally, the MW was rising. I struggled to star hop with the amount of stars there but using my Rigel and a bit of scanning the area with my finder scope I came across the Eagle Nebula (I had to reassure myself with the Stellarium). Some weak nebulosity could be seen around the stars. I got so excited and I spent a few minutes taking it in, but I was not prepared for my next target. The Swan nebula. OMG OMG!!! A swan in my EP! Unbelievable. I found myself doing a little dance at the EP. A bright nebula with nice delicate features. I tried without the filter; it was obvious but not as well defined. I was panning between the Eagle and Swan due to their close proximity. Next, I moved to the Lagoon and Trifid nebulas. Again another WOW moment. The Lagoon was fairly bright in the EP and some darker lane was visible in the middle of it. Trifid was more diffuse. Interestingly both the Swan and Lagoon were 'visible' in my finder scope; they appeared as smudges of light.

I finally could not help myself to hop between these nebulas within the same area. For somebody who loves seeing nebulas that was one of my best nights with the telescope! Looking forward to observing more of the Milky Way.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Kon said:

In my last post I said I will not be viewing or writing another nebula report until later in the summer....well that did not last long!.....With the moon not rising until later and with clear warm skies I decided try the Milky Way; I know that it is a late summer viewing area but I could not wait. I mostly used my 25mm with the OIII and occasionally the 15mm.  Waiting for the MW to rise, I revisited some old favourites to test the viewing; I started with M57 followed by the Veil. Both East and West Veil looked great with clear filaments (it gave me confidence viewing was good). I then had a look at the N America nebula and I think seeing was much better than last time.

I then visited Scorpio and I saw the Blue Horsehead nebula again. Last time I struggled with the conditions to see the IC 4604 (Oph Nebula). This time nebulosity around the three stars was obvious (I used my 15mm EP without filter here). M4 and M80 looked great and some individual stars could be made but the core was mostly unresolved.

Finally, the MW was rising. I struggled to star hop with the amount of stars there but using my Rigel and a bit of scanning the area with my finder scope I came across the Eagle Nebula (I had to reassure myself with the Stellarium). Some weak nebulosity could be seen around the stars. I got so excited and I spent a few minutes taking it in, but I was not prepared for my next target. The Swan nebula. OMG OMG!!! A swan in my EP! Unbelievable. I found myself doing a little dance at the EP. A bright nebula with nice delicate features. I tried without the filter; it was obvious but not as well defined. I was panning between the Eagle and Swan due to their close proximity. Next, I moved to the Lagoon and Trifid nebulas. Again another WOW moment. The Lagoon was fairly bright in the EP and some darker lane was visible in the middle of it. Trifid was more diffuse. Interestingly both the Swan and Lagoon were 'visible' in my finder scope; they appeared as smudges of light.

I finally could not help myself to hop between these nebulas within the same area. For somebody who loves seeing nebulas that was one of my best nights with the telescope! Looking forward to observing more of the Milky Way.

Did you note any filaments or faint nebulosity between M16 and M17 Kon ? Some have reported that they are both parts of a same large nebula connected by faint filamentary nebulae . @Don Pensackreported sighting this with his 12.5" . 

@John absolutely the best advice from the SGL forum and best buy the OIII filter. It is already paying dividends!

@Voyager 3 No I did not. I have seen other reports showing some faint nebulosity between them as you say.

• Like 1