Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asteroid 3 Juno Opposes Sun 2021 JUN 06

CentaurZ

Asteroid 3 Juno will appear within Ophiuchus in opposition to the Sun on 2021 JUN 06 at magnitude +10.1. It’s the second most massive stony asteroid. Juno was discovered in 1804, and has a mean diameter of 233 km.

Photos and descriptions of Juno would be welcome additions to this thread.

Asteroid-B.JPG.9d09c1726adfecbec6944e75dc3ec288.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

While out with my 127 Mak on Thursday night grabbing some images of the Nova in Hercules I was admiring the southern sky. It was a bit murky, light pollution and high cloud but I decided to look for an interesting target in that direction.

SkySafari had Juno near the meridian so I zoomed in and saw that it was actually passing through the outer reaches of M10, a globular I've not looked at much due to it's location.

So I slewed the scope and found that the glubular showed up OK in a 20 sec exposure and I identified Juno readily.  So I ran off a bunch of 30 sec Subb hoping to see some movement. Time was critical. No total darkness here this time of year and dawn starts interfering before 3am.

So here is a stack of 113 x 30 sec subs. 50 minutes worth of movement shows nicely. I offset the cluster a bit more than was needed to include Juno but I was rushing...

933383757_JunoM10.thumb.jpg.ea805dffaf2347b57a05944b5eb6be9b.jpg

I enjoy making animations of asteroid motion and so gave this data a try. Unfortunately there is a lot of field motion between frames so the asteroid is tricky to identify. I've spent all day trying to align the frames before animation in PhotoShop but failed miserably.

Juno-M10.gif.96d7774c2635d6bdcdb6a4138cd79f7e.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1