SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Low cost binocular DSO?

tico

Hello,
I'm thinking about getting a binocular for the summer to make informal observations of deep sky, I don't have much budget, I had thought of a Celestron 25x100, I have a good tripod capable of supporting 7 kilograms, and this binocular I think could give me many joys ...
In your opinion can this Celestron provide beautiful images of the Milky Way and other deep sky objects? ... (at a low cost?)
thanks a lot
paul

For the price I think the Celestrons do a great job.. some may argue that spending a little more could benefit you, for example the Helios Stella ii which are pretty much the same as the Orion Giantviews - may give you slightly crisper view and deliver a more pleasing image but I don't think you'll be disappointed.. 

Will they give you beautiful views? I think that all depends on what you consider to be beautiful. There are many objects that will look fantastic visually, star clusters mainly... But a lot of DSOs using 100mm will be faint fuzzy blobs. I love faint fuzzy blobs because of what they actually are and in a way that makes them beautiful.. 

• Like 3

I personally like the 15x70 or 16x80 format more. They are far easier to mount (also on a monopod) stably. The wider FOV makes finding things easier too. The cheaper 15x70s are really 15x64 or so, due to internal baffling, etc, but they are still great fun. I had a pair for years before switching to a more expensive pair.

I have the 15x70 Skymaster Pros, I would always recommend the extra cost at having nitrogen purged, makes for much less risk of any problems further down the line. I like the 15x70 as they're worth mounting on a tripod - but also for myself personally, I can hold them steady for long enough to scan the skys without the need of a tripod, but thats not for everyone! I don't think that would be possible with more magnification. So its a good all rounder for me.

Not tried it myself yet, but I did read jupiters moons and saturns rings are also visible through them. Can't say from experience though!