Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

25 mm BST or something else?

Kon

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Thank you all for the links, comparisons and personal experience with different EPs. After reading the links and careful consideration, I am thinking of going for the ES 24mm (68°) (ouch, that's a lot higher than my initial budget). Several of you suggested it.  I realise that I use my 25mm EP quite a lot so getting an EP that will deliver hopefully sharper images is worth it. I will try see if anything might come on second hand market otherwise I will be placing an order soon.

For the same money, the various 24mm APM UFF class eyepieces have a similar performance level to the 24mm ES-68 at the same price, at least here in the US.  They are also more readily available.

Look for the 24mm APM Ultra Flat Field, 24mm Altair Ultraflat, 24mm Meade 5000 UHD, 24mm Celestron Ultima Edge Flat Field, and 24mm Orion Ultra Flat Field.

Below is a comparison image of my various ~24mm eyepieces, including the 24mm APM UFF, in an f/6 field flattened 72ED refractor:

905587778_23mm-28mm.thumb.JPG.5b345039b074716312b3ea6b26a46bed.JPG1124725079_23mm-28mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.af71e7f883fc2552cfae36880a508c9c.jpg

I don't have either the 24mm ES-68 or Panoptic for comparison due to their tight eye relief.  The Panoptic, at least, would be similarly sharp to the 27mm Panoptic shown near the bottom.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

For the same money, the various 24mm APM UFF class eyepieces have a similar performance level to the 24mm ES-68 at the same price, at least here in the US.  They are also more readily available.

Look for the 24mm APM Ultra Flat Field, 24mm Altair Ultraflat, 24mm Meade 5000 UHD, 24mm Celestron Ultima Edge Flat Field, and 24mm Orion Ultra Flat Field.

When I thought I had made my mind.....I will see if any of these might come as second hand as well and if not, then make a decision which one to buy new.

8 hours ago, Kon said:

When I thought I had made my mind.....I will see if any of these might come as second hand as well and if not, then make a decision which one to buy new.

Good idea.  I picked up my 24mm APM UFF second hand for $130 3 years ago.

• Like 1

If you're prepared to go secondhand the 24mm Maxvision 68 degree can be a good option. I bought mine secondhand on ABS 7-8 years ago for about £50 and it has never been a source of disappointment, even in fast scopes. It's comfortable to look through with an adjustable eye guard. Aberrations are not zero but very well controlled. I'm always impressed by just how bad it isn't when compared to much more expensive tackle. It has survived many an eyepiece cull over the years. 

Sadly no longer available new, Maxvision were rebadged Meades as a result of some contract mess-up, but I think the same optical design has been cloned several times over and is probably still out there as a badge-engineered new product . Others will be better clued up on the clones than myself. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rl said:

Sadly no longer available new, Maxvision were rebadged Meades as a result of some contract mess-up, but I think the same optical design has been cloned several times over and is probably still out there as a badge-engineered new product .

It is optically the same as the 24mm ES-68.  However, it has better eye relief due to the eye lens being less recessed.

• Like 1

As a non-glasses wearer I found the soft foldable eyecup of the ES 24mm / 68 more comfortable and more effective at blocking out stray light than the hard flat, wide, top of the Maxvision 24 / 68. I enjoyed using both eyepieces and their optical performance was comparable (I owned both for a while) but I did ultimately prefer the egonomics of the ES.

Eyepiece ergonomics are an area subject very much to personal preferences though. Some of it may well be affected by the shape of your face, depth of eye sockets etc, etc. We all vary to some extent on such things.

• Like 1

I just did a quick google search on ES 24mm and I came across this site:

https://www.boxallx.com/explore-scientific-68deg-ar-eyepiece-with-emd-multilayer-coating-and-argon-filling-various-sizes-p-888127.htm

It cannot be a genuine one for the price can it?

(another search shoed as fraudulent site), so avoid!

Edited by Kon

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

https://www.boxallx.com/explore-scientific-68deg-ar-eyepiece-with-emd-multilayer-coating-and-argon-filling-various-sizes-p-888127.htm

The ES eyepieces have been bought by members here at a knock down price from vendors on Aliexpress. I almost did the same but just didn't want to take what I perceived as a risk, hence picking up the Altair UFF 24mm. The best ep in my collection undoubtedly. The only downside being the bulk. It's a whopper 1.25in eyepiece.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yes, a fraud site.  Unless it's used, no one sells a product below manufacturing cost.

This is only one of many such sites.

Like the Nigerian Prince scam we all avoid, in the modern world there are scammers in every field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The ES eyepieces have been bought by members here at a knock down price from vendors on Aliexpress. I almost did the same but just didn't want to take what I perceived as a risk, hence picking up the Altair UFF 24mm. The best ep in my collection undoubtedly. The only downside being the bulk. It's a whopper 1.25in eyepiece.

Thanks. Yes I am searching the ES and the EPs that Louis and you  suggested including the Altair UFF 24.

Edited by Kon

Guest 12green

Hello, I've  also been waiting for ES68 24mm to get back in stock in UK.

Would Altair Astro UFF 24mm be a suitable alternative and be a noticeable upgrade from my BST Starguider 25mm.

I do like ES eyepieces. I only have ES82 14mm &68 34mm

I have F10 SCT and don't require glasses.

Thanks

10 hours ago, 12green said:

Hello, I've  also been waiting for ES68 24mm to get back in stock in UK.

Would Altair Astro UFF 24mm be a suitable alternative and be a noticeable upgrade from my BST Starguider 25mm.

I do like ES eyepieces. I only have ES82 14mm &68 34mm

I have F10 SCT and don't require glasses.

Thanks

The Altair would be a noticeable upgrade, but a caveat: It has a very long eye relief.

Even with the eyecup raised, which you would do if not wearing glasses, it is possible to get too close to the eyepiece and get blackouts therefrom.

You do need to "hover" over the eyepiece.

9 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

The Altair would be a noticeable upgrade, but a caveat: It has a very long eye relief.

Even with the eyecup raised, which you would do if not wearing glasses, it is possible to get too close to the eyepiece and get blackouts therefrom.

You do need to "hover" over the eyepiece.

With its M43 eye cup thread, you could probably add a Morpheus eye cup extender and M43 threaded eye cup if that became an issue.

• Like 1

Guest 12green

Thanks for replies/advice. For some reason I found I had to hover over eyepiece when I used a 32mm plossl. I didn't really enjoy using that eyepiece. Based on that experience I think I will just sit tight and wait for ES 24mm 68 or 82.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would update this post on my 25mm EP choice. I was planning to get the ES 68degree 24mm EP but with no supplies available for a long time,  I acquired a second hand 25mm BST at a good price over the summer. As it was mentioned earlier in this post it does suffer at the edge (stars appeared as seagulls) and I did not enjoy it. I finally took the plunge with Aliexpress (what could go wrong?)  and I ordered the ES 68degree 24mm EP (at a very good price and in stock compared to other UK suppliers) last week and it arrived today. Total game changer. Sharp stars to the edge and the slightly larger FOV compared to the BST made the experience even better. Clouds kept coming in and out so I only had a quick look at Cygnus area tonight. The stars really sharp on the ES but the BST did suffer. I also had a quick look at M27, and I felt the ES was providing better details and it was amazing seeing it with all the stars around (last time i saw it was with the basic 25mm EP that came with my Dob). 

Thanks to all of you on the excellent suggestions and I have felt in love with the ES EPs (I also acquired an ES 82degrees 6.7mm EP which has been amazing on Jupiter and Saturn, so planning to upgrade the rest of my BST EPs on the 82 range (1.25"); i love the wide FOV of the 82.

• Like 2