Jump to content

740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

I CANNOT align this AZ-GTi mount *shakes fist at sky*


Recommended Posts

For the life of me, I cannot figure this out.  Got to take out my setup last night for only the second time as it's been cloudy for weeks and I've been trying in vain to align my Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount to no avail.  I'm using it in ALT-AZ mode for now, and I've probably researched every article and watched every Youtube vid I could find and still nothing is working...I feel like I'm stupidly dense or something because there is something just not clicking in the cranium.

I thought I was supposed to point the dang thing north to start so that's what I did, err, I think anyway.  Am I pointing the wrong end north? See picture.  Also, I'm reading that the actual scope has to be mounted a certain way on the mount correct?  Which way would that be?  I've read all of this left/right stuff and those directionals mean nothing to me as it depends on someone's viewpoint.  When I aimed north to start, I attempted to align by directing SynScan to go to the Moon first, and that took it so far off course it wasn't even close, it was basically pointing at the ground.  I reset and tried again with another start (Vega I believe)...again, wasn't even in the realm of close.  I made sure my location settings were correct in the app so that wasn't the issue.

Here's how I got something to "work".  I had it track to the moon and when it was essentially pointing at the ground and who knows how many degrees from my actual target, I picked the whole thing up, turned it around, manually aligned to the moon and then clicked OK on the app.  I felt like a ridiculous clown doing that but somehow it actually managed to do the trick but something tells me that isn't right on a long term basis.

I'm thinking about getting SkySafari to control the mount but I should probably master the basics first.

Tips/tricks appreciated.

Capture.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the mount in front of you, like in your picture and with a scope fitted on the left-side and facing away from you. Level the scope and point the telescope North (use a compass). So your picture the arrow is pointing West, not North.

 

See here where there is a video to explain all this and more.

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

With the mount in front of you, like in your picture and with a scope fitted on the left-side and facing away from you. Level the scope and point the telescope North (use a compass). So your picture the arrow is pointing West, not North.

 

See here where there is a video to explain all this and more.

Steve

I was under the impression my mount had to be facing north, I didn't know the scope had to be facing due north.  . Cheers for the info friend, I'll try and apply it tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Maideneer said:

I was under the impression my mount had to be facing north, I didn't know the scope had to be facing due north.

Aligning the mount north would naturally point the telescope north as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Aligning the mount north would naturally point the telescope north as well.

Not in my case because I'm a bozo lol.  I tried to show in my picture that I presumed the actual front of the mount needed to be facing north, which would cause the scope to be perpendicular (east-west) and I also got confused at the left-right facing scope thing which I think I can rectify now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had issues getting used to my equatorial mount where GoTo would point me in the opposite direction to which I wanted. 

I soon twigged that I was mounting the scope the wrong way round in the saddle. I got a sticker and marked it with an arrow which represented the direction I needed to mount the objective lens.

Every day is an education!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

I had issues getting used to my equatorial mount where GoTo would point me in the opposite direction to which I wanted. 

I soon twigged that I was mounting the scope the wrong way round in the saddle. I got a sticker and marked it with an arrow which represented the direction I needed to mount the objective lens.

Every day is an education!

I think that's one of my two problems...mounting it wrong.  It's one of those stupid simple things that makes you slap your head when you finally figure it out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Maideneer said:

Not in my case because I'm a bozo lol.  I tried to show in my picture that I presumed the actual front of the mount needed to be facing north, which would cause the scope to be perpendicular (east-west) and I also got confused at the left-right facing scope thing which I think I can rectify now.

 

Don't be so harsh on yourself, there is little in the manuals to explain how to do this with an AZ-Gti.

The only text in the synscan that helps a bit for new owners is:

 

HOME POSITION OF AN ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNT:

  • Mount tripod is leveled as indicated by its bubble level
  • The telescope tube is leveled and points to true north

By this one could assume that the telescope could be on your left or right as long as it points true north. Hopefully the mount software can handle that. However, I used the illustrations in the manual which show the scope on the left just in case that's the only side that works.

Eq mode is easier in this respect.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, StevieDvd said:

 

Don't be so harsh on yourself, there is little in the manuals to explain how to do this with an AZ-Gti.

The only text in the synscan that helps a bit for new owners is:

 

HOME POSITION OF AN ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNT:

  • Mount tripod is leveled as indicated by its bubble level
  • The telescope tube is leveled and points to true north

By this one could assume that the telescope could be on your left or right as long as it points true north. Hopefully the mount software can handle that. However, I used the illustrations in the manual which show the scope on the left just in case that's the only side that works.

Eq mode is easier in this respect.

 

I guess I missed that bit and here I thought I read through it all.  I am thinking about getting the counterweight bar and transforming to EQ with it since I downloaded the new firmware anyway.  Maybe I'll just try these methods first before I keep spending money🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Maideneer said:

I guess I missed that bit and here I thought I read through it all.  I am thinking about getting the counterweight bar and transforming to EQ with it since I downloaded the new firmware anyway.  Maybe I'll just try these methods first before I keep spending money🙂

If you do take up the EQ mode then look at either the Skywatcher wedge (or the William Optics wedge if you the cost is not offputting). The WO is good and makes alignment a little easier than the other wedges, I have one myself.

 

Welcome to the SGL forum. Ask away with any questions - there are quite a few AZ-GTi owners here.

Edited by StevieDvd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2021 at 09:53, StevieDvd said:

With the mount in front of you, like in your picture and with a scope fitted on the left-side and facing away from you. Level the scope and point the telescope North (use a compass). So your picture the arrow is pointing West, not North.

 

See here where there is a video to explain all this and more.

Steve

Another frustrating night tonight. Something is definitely wrong with a certain setting and for the life of me I cannot figure this out. Essentially what is happening is that when I attempt to align anything, let’s say doing a north level alignment I balance my scope out and point it north (I use a compass app to make certain).

I tell the mount to point to Vega for example, and it proceeds to head in an entirely different direction and starts pointing down to the ground, almost like it’s inverting the Altitude axis thinking it’s pointing at the sky when in reality it’s looking at the grass.

I literally have zero idea how to troubleshoot this and don’t know where to turn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maideneer said:

Another frustrating night tonight. Something is definitely wrong with a certain setting and for the life of me I cannot figure this out. Essentially what is happening is that when I attempt to align anything, let’s say doing a north level alignment I balance my scope out and point it north (I use a compass app to make certain).

I tell the mount to point to Vega for example, and it proceeds to head in an entirely different direction and starts pointing down to the ground, almost like it’s inverting the Altitude axis thinking it’s pointing at the sky when in reality it’s looking at the grass.

I literally have zero idea how to troubleshoot this and don’t know where to turn.

Sound like the scope is still the wrong way round in the clamp. Try posting some pictures of it setup with North indicated so we can check.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Maideneer said:

I tell the mount to point to Vega for example, and it proceeds to head in an entirely different direction and starts pointing down to the ground, almost like it’s inverting the Altitude axis thinking it’s pointing at the sky when in reality it’s looking at the grass.

I often have this problem if I don't enable the secondary encoder. I should open mine up and see if it needs a clean. 

HTH, Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mount turning groundward sounds like either data - time and location, or power - insufficent.

Use Polaris if at all possible for North, although St Louis is not bad for the compass to True North comparison, you have a 1.6 degree difference and I would have thought the scope should handle that. Although usually the US states have a difference greater then that. Often up in the 10-16 degree difference. As most compasses, even those on a phone/tablet still utilise magnetics you will find that often a visual on Polaris is better. I suppose also that you could be sited at an area where the underlying rocks are slightly magnetic and so throwing the compass off. I have found often that the magnetic compasses can have too many influences. So check if possible by using or comparing Polaris.

My first cover had a magnetic clasp to hold it closed - that really upset the compass function.

Power - the use of batteries is OK if they are new and high power ones, and even then expect only around an hours use. Could try a Lithium item as they tend to output a bit more and have a larger capacity. Thinking one of the Talentcell item say 4800mAH and greater.

If data then need to know the wifi device. If Android check that the mount is getting the data. My Android you have to tell the mount to get data from the Android device, then you have to tell the Android device to let the mount have the data. Miss one out - easy -  and the mount has little idea and will I suspect default to some location. Which will not be St Louis. These days more likely Beijing.

Suppose the bottom line is that although described as "Computerised" then mounts are far from "Automatic", have seen it said they are still about 60-80% manual. At least to start with. Give the mount an easy time and set it as level and North as reasonable in whatever time you have. The Az Gti is small, and relatively simple, I suggest it is very much a mount for wide to medium field scopes and visual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello. Have you got the scope on the correct side of the mount. I had similar issues. I always used north align in alt AZ mode. 
Scope was on the wrong side !!  
The scope tube points north meaning the if you look at the buttons you are looking west. 
needs to be as this stock photo I’m pretty sure. 
John 

 

 

BB83C70F-DFD5-4D44-A518-77CA39597D99.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Have you got the scope on the correct side of the mount. I had similar issues. I always used north align in alt AZ mode. 
Scope was on the wrong side !!  
The scope tube points north meaning the if you look at the buttons you are looking west. 
needs to be as this stock photo I’m pretty sure. 
John 

 

 

BB83C70F-DFD5-4D44-A518-77CA39597D99.jpeg

Also as I have done with mine and updated the firmware to the mounting the opposite way and eq mode update. So my scope points in the opposite way to yours here as when I was using the fs on my skymax 127 I was contorting into back breaking positions. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. I’ve created a video to hopefully show you exactly what is happening.

I’m on an iPhone - iOS 14.6 so it’s the latest

 

Edited by Maideneer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay based on the responses above it does seem that the firmware can be changed to allow the scope to be mounted on the right-hand side. Easy to test this theory with your mount have the scope pointing north but the mount 180 degress than you had it in the video. That would put your finderscope on top and hopefully align properly. If that works but you want to mount as stated earlier (scope on left) then a firmware flash should resolve that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Okay based on the responses above it does seem that the firmware can be changed to allow the scope to be mounted on the right-hand side. Easy to test this theory with your mount have the scope pointing north but the mount 180 degress than you had it in the video. That would put your finderscope on top and hopefully align properly. If that works but you want to mount as stated earlier (scope on left) then a firmware flash should resolve that.

By the love of all things holy I think I got it. I updated ALL firmware once again which was step 1. Step 2 was doing as you said so that I reversed the position of the scope again so that the finder scope was on top. It’s a partly cloudy night so I can’t see Polaris or Vega but I can see Arcturus which is good enough.

I attempted to North align to Polaris and Vega so I did that blind and hoped for the best. The first good sign was that the scope started to point to the sky rather than the ground. After I “aligned” it I directed the scope to pointer Arcturus which I could see still and off it went and successfully pointed there. Next I went to try Dubhe and once again it worked.

I can’t thank you enough for your help and I’m going to try it again once it’s another clear night just to confirm everything is OK but this is leaps and bounds better than where I was for the first 2 weeks with this mount. Cheers to you and to you all!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By AstroNebulee
      Hi all
      This will hopefully be the new thread for all things regarding the skywatcher Az Gti mount. Please share anything you think is relevant or ask any questions regarding this stunning and very capable mount. I'm hoping that this will become the central hub for this mount and the place to come to for advice, help, information and knowledge for the Az Gti. Share your images of your mount and set up along with images captured or experiences observing with it. I've owned mine since May this year and use it with my sw 72ed ds pro, asi air pro, Canon 600D in EQ mode. Even though its mot meant for astrophotography it sure can pull out some brilliant performances. I live in a 1st floor flat and portability is key for me and the goto functionality is a godsend to setup quickly. So feel free to ask anything and other az gti owners can help and advise. 

    • By Peter1984
      Hi Guys,
      So I am losing my mind with this Mount. I am having the same issues. For the life of me I can’t work it out. Here is a pic of how my scope is mounted.  Would really appreciate some help as I am increasingly frustrated with this purchase.  Thank you. 

    • By Catakraken
      Hello. I recently acquired an Ocal electronic collimator for my new 130 PDS and the image I see when I connect it is the one I attach. I can't adjust the green circle in the circle created by the end of the focuser. Not even helping me with the offset of the program, whose maximum is 20. I don't know if anyone has tried this collimator with its 130PDS. But it doesn't seem normal. Any ideas? Thank you.




    • By MHaneferd
      Winter is coming and I struggled the past days with dew on my Skywatcher 120ED. I have tried to use a self made isolation dew-cap around it, but not good enough (still dew)
      I have browsed trough the forum and read about dew heaters vs. Dew shield, and figured out that I probably need a dew heater. The temperature here can range from minus 5 to minus 35 degrees celcius, but I dont think I’ll be using the scope when passing minus 20.
      My question is, which dew heating option would handle minus 10 to minus 20 degrees celcius for my scope? I am afraid that the temperature loss will make the strips not functioning well when passing minus 10 degrees, but I might be wrong?

      I guess my scooe is around 45cm circumference outside the tube.
      I am using 220V with adapters to everything else, so power is not an issue. 
    • By Elp
      Hi, first post so please bear with me, having issues with autoguiding, looked at numerous forum threads and cannot find the issue specific to my setup and the issue I am having.
      Equipment in question:
      ZWO 224 using as guide camera plugged into raspberry pi running Astroberry via USB3,
      Lynx Astro EQDIR cable plugged from USB on raspberry pi into hand controller port on AZ GTI.
       
      Configuration:
      Synscan android app successfully connected to AZ GTI via wifi and can control via mobile phone,
      AZ GTI setup to connect to raspberry pi (so it's on the raspberry pi network) AZ GTI connected successfully as it is recognised in PHD2 and EKOS,
      In PHD2 the mount is setup as INDI mount (AZ-GTI) and connects.
       
      Issue:
      PHD2 is unable to guide in either RA or declination (see screenshot error showing up), it is always one or the other. I have tried setting up multiple times, tried using the network cable which came with the camera directly from the camera into the hand controller port and setup in PHD2 as "on camera" (I suspect this setup is wrong anyway and was one of the first I tried). Polar alignment has been checked multiple times, the end result is always the same, the star field within PHD2 window will always drift in one direction so any star chosen will eventually disappear out the field of view as the mount isn't moving to follow it.
      Looking at the PHD2 graph I know it is trying to send pulses to the mount but either the movement is too much for the mount to move or something isn't happening as it should, in the example screenshot provided I tried this indoors on a fairly fast (compared to in the field) rotating star field looking at a screen so it will fail, though the mount didn't adjust at all, no matter how I've setup prior the AZ GTI refuses to adjust to follow a guide star. I have tried manually moving the mount in PHD2 and it doesn't seem to move in any direction, manually moving however does work in EKOS so the hardware seems to be plugged in correctly. EKOS even knows where the mount is pointing and can issue go-tos (although it is slightly off target at the moment).
      I am kind of at my wits end to why autoguiding isn't working, if anyone can help please assist.
      On another note if someone can advise how to configure PHD2 so the off yellow warning box colour can be changed so the error message can be read clearly - I know theres a line of code I can use in the terminal window which refers to a resource file to change to the default PHD2 colours and launches the software but the changes are never saved.
       

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.