Narrowband

I have finally been Musked

tomato

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

At any given time there is about 10k aircraft in the sky above us.

Satellites are smaller and further away - density per given area of the sky is much smaller as far as launches go.

We notice StarLink satellites because they fly in groups for the moment (not sure if they will fly like that indefinitely - guess not once every reaches designated orbital position).

That represents much greater psychological impact than airplanes that we are used to.

I had subs ruined by passing airplane much more regularly than by satellites by the way. They have flashing lights and leave distinct signature in subs.

I hated spending time clone stamping away trails, but since I started CMOS imaging with many (usually 50+) short (2-4 min) subs and stacked them in PI I have not had any one ruined by either sattelites or airplanes. Their trails are effectively removed by the algorithms (I usually use Linear Fit Clipping). But I assume there is a limit to this. As I understand it the problem is that there are no international agreements and regulations, and right now the world does not seem to be in a state for international agreements of any kind......

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

What I don't understand, is that I cannot believe the likes of NASA didn't create merry hell about this when the proposal was put forward to the FCC who ultimately approved the programme. 

That is easy to figure out.

NASA takes money. 

Musk pays money!

8 hours ago, wulfrun said:

And lastly, when (hopefully soon) an incoming meteorite takes one out and the debris cascades into all or most of them, what then?

They are designed to almost completely burn up when they return to earth. Except for 1 part. Not sure which part.  The energy providing part?

i thought SpaceX is still experimenting with various coatings to make them less visible and although im not an extreme Astrophotgrapher, for those who suffer lets hope the big AP software companies come up with a solution to detect moving objects and pause the exposures. 

Edited by Robindonne

So far it seems that mr Musk isn't interested in tracking his cars in the northern countries, and we have been spared (most of) the satellite trails. Who knows, maybe Sweden will become a safe haven for astrophotographers. Deep Sky North.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Astrophotgrapher, for those who suffer lets hope the big AP software companies come up with a solution to detect moving objects and pause the exposures. 

No need really. Ordinary pixel rejection in stacking software takes care of trails.

Edited by wimvb
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wimvb said:

So far it seems that mr Musk isn't interested in tracking his cars in the northern countries, and we have been spared (most of) the satellite trails. Who knows, maybe Sweden will become a safe haven for astrophotographers. Deep Sky North.

Did not know that - it may explain why I have not got Musked yet, but maybe he aims at us with the next swarm, and Oslo has the highest Tesla density in the world.....

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/norway-goes-crazy-over-tesla-model-3

Edited by gorann

I know that software can remove the trails, but I find starlinks objectionable on principle. It's like as if one day you lived in a leafy valley overlooking a country lane, and the next day someone had turned it into a motorway without asking you. So ok triple glazing can keep the noise out but it's still pollution/littering/whatever.

Starlink is SpaceX, not Tesla so I didn't think it had anything to do with tracking cars. Its stated purpose is cheap internet and I really don't think it's worth trashing the heavens for more cheap internet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

I know that software can remove the trails, but I find starlinks objectionable on principle. It's like as if one day you lived in a leafy valley overlooking a country lane, and the next day someone had turned it into a motorway without asking you. So ok triple glazing can keep the noise out but it's still pollution/littering/whatever.

Starlink is SpaceX, not Tesla so I didn't think it had anything to do with tracking cars. Its stated purpose is cheap internet and I really don't think it's worth trashing the heavens for more cheap internet.

Yes, I think you are right - there is enough internet in the countries that can afford buying Teslas.

• Like 1

We seem hell bent on systematically destroying the planet at ground level; starlink is just finishing it off.  On a serious note the damage hardly seems worth what really is a frivolous benefit.  

• Like 1

This has to stop. Now. what is happening is unprecedented and very wrong on so many levels. This is a private corporation and for their own private profit they are destroying the science of astronomy and ruining the night sky. Not to say we don't know what environmental impact have tens of thousands of satellites, beaming high energy signal, on the biosphere. this is not a game.

Edited by runway77
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, runway77 said:

This has to stop. Now. what is happening is unprecedented and very wrong on so many levels. This is a private corporation and for their own private profit they are destroying the science of astronomy and ruining the night sky. Not to say we don't know what environmental impact have tens of thousands of satellites, beaming high energy signal, on the biosphere. this is not a game.

So what do you think we should do about it ?

Well I feel that there will be lots of good ,little used astronomy gear for sale in the not to distant future.

The near earth orbit scrapyard of the future will make some one rich Sad really

35 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

So what do you think we should do about it ?

Let's start at least locally. Tell it to other people. Do not buy these products. Write someone in your local newspaper. Tell your politician. Small things can sometimes trigger big changes for the better. It is an utter nonsense that a single corporation is creating a  monopoly in LEO orbit with tens of thousands of satellites and everyone is trying to do the same. As if people are not able to see where this ends. Everything driven by greed and ego.

Look at this: https://www.heavens-above.com/StarLink.aspx?lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCT

And that is only Starlink and with current count of 1800 satellites. They want 42 000!

Edited by runway77

I would suggest, playing devils advocate, that if you can say "I have finally been...", that it's not that big an issue for you. And I would suspect 95% of us. 

I've only been "musked" once, last year 

I'm not particularly ecstatic about Starlink, but I also dont have much time I for all the moaning about them. That's not directed at you personally OP. Just APers in general.

Cheers