Narrowband

I have finally been Musked

tomato

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

It had to happen sooner or later. At least there is no mistaking the culprit.

2021-05-26_00-47-25_5.60_180.00s_0002-St.jpg

Hmm....and to think that we are nowhere near the maximum number that he is planning on putting up there....at least to my knowledge. And this is before Amazon and the like start getting in on the act in the future!

What was the exposure time just out of interest?

It is only a 3 minute sub so that's one benefit of CMOS cameras, just as long as you get a bit of a clear run in between.

For sure, with the numbers planned, it is going to get worse.

That's been interesting two minutes :D

I read title of the thread, and I thought to myself - I have no idea what "Musked" means - so I went to google and got an answer:

"To perfume with musk."

and further explanation:

"A greasy secretion with a powerful odour, produced in a glandular sac of the male musk deer and used in the manufacture of perfumes."

So you can imagine what went thru my head, trying to picture what could have possibly happened :D that deserves such title.

In the end - I'm sure feeling is the same - being "musked" by a musk and by Musk :D.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Amazing when you see a list of nightly events in any apps these days, you have to turn off satellite data to avoid page after page of starlink entries, and as pointed out, we are no where near saturation on this front. Not a great prospect to contemplate. 

43 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That's been interesting two minutes :D

I read title of the thread, and I thought to myself - I have no idea what "Musked" means - so I went to google and got an answer:

"To perfume with musk."

and further explanation:

"A greasy secretion with a powerful odour, produced in a glandular sac of the male musk deer and used in the manufacture of perfumes."

So you can imagine what went thru my head, trying to picture what could have possibly happened :D that deserves such title.

In the end - I'm sure feeling is the same - being "musked" by a musk and by Musk :D.

Ah vlaiv, you don't have the same cultural references as I do, my immediate thought was  'Hey, Muskie !' 🙂

19 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Ah vlaiv, you don't have the same cultural references as I do, my immediate thought was  'Hey, Muskie !'

Nope, never seen that one :D

Closest type of cartoon that I watched would be this:

Same production - only aired just after Deputy Dawg.

Interestingly enough - wiki says following: "Originally, according to two articles from 1959, the character of Deputy Dog was supposed to be part of a series called Possible Possum, starring the titular character (who later became Musky Muskrat, according to Ralph Bakshi), and was meant for the Captain Kangaroo Show, and as a replacement for Tom Terrific. Larz Bourne came up with the concept of the show and drew the first boards. It wasn't until mid-way in production that Deputy Dog became the star"

However - I watched those cartoons synchronized to our language - so names are changed (but they still rime :D ).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Hmm....and to think that we are nowhere near the maximum number that he is planning on putting up there....at least to my knowledge. And this is before Amazon and the like start getting in on the act in the future!

What was the exposure time just out of interest?

And very likely, other countries will follow.

Now when Vlaiv has enlighened us on what musk really is (for once I happened to know), you can't help wondering why anyone came up with such a sirname, and the decendants actually keep it.

But you have to admit the SpaceX adventure is great to watch.

And what is it with my posts and HB cartoons? I have a nebulous Scooby Doo as an avatar, and now references to Deputy Dawg et al? :blink:

• Like 2

The good thing is, you know for sure you’ll have a very fast internet connection once you make the switch to Starlink.  You’re right under the crossroads of multiple tracks

Edited by Robindonne
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty new to observing, only having had a scope for about 6 months. I actually can't recall a single evening when at least one satellite hasn't passed through my EP view, usually many more. I saw a train of about 50 a few nights ago, naked-eye (I lost the exact count), covering a good 120 degrees of view.

I wonder about a few things...

Do the powers that be actually care about the visibility of the sky and the protestations of a (small) minority? Are these things actually agreed multi-laterally? At what point can we not send anything more up because "threading the needle" becomes unfeasible? What's the "carbon footprint" of these constellations (consternations?), including launch vehicles and how will we achieve "net-zero" with these things to offset?

And lastly, when (hopefully soon) an incoming meteorite takes one out and the debris cascades into all or most of them, what then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gorann said:

... you can't help wondering why anyone came up with such a sirname, and the decendants actually keep it.

Because it’s potent.

• Haha 3

Apparently Space X has approval to launch 12,000 satellites. I think there are around 1,600 launched so far. The company are seeking approval to increase the total to 30,000.

I bought a Space X T-shirt when I visited Florida in 2017 and saw a Falcon 9 launch. I don't think I'd have the nerve to wear it now, especially amongst other astronomers :embarassed:

Edited by John

To be Musked! So endearing. The feeling that what we are about to discover in our view finders, bears no resemblance to the natural order of space. We humans, litter everything! I actually hate it.

chaz

Dont forget Amazon in some time btw.  We will get a new Kuiperbelt of satellites.  They will orbit on another level what makes it even more disturbing to see through. We’re up for some heavy movements up there😑

The good thing is astrogear will become a bit cheaper again, because its getting useless

Edited by Robindonne

What I don't understand, is that I cannot believe the likes of NASA didn't create merry hell about this when the proposal was put forward to the FCC who ultimately approved the programme. 

Perhaps it's down to the fact that I do not fully understand the governance, but surely space launches of any kind will be near impossible when there are 30-40+ thousand satelittes flying around.

I envisage it being like the scene from the movie Independence Day when the fighter planes are flying vertically trying to get through the swarms of alien space craft....! Perhaps a slight exaggeration but still....😉

Anyway....I'm so glad I've dropped God knows how many £££'s on astrophotography gear over the past 1 1/2 years 🙄😂

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Perhaps it's down to the fact that I do not fully understand the governance, but surely space launches of any kind will be near impossible when there are 30-40+ thousand satelittes flying around.

At any given time there is about 10k aircraft in the sky above us.

Satellites are smaller and further away - density per given area of the sky is much smaller as far as launches go.

We notice StarLink satellites because they fly in groups for the moment (not sure if they will fly like that indefinitely - guess not once every reaches designated orbital position).

That represents much greater psychological impact than airplanes that we are used to.

I had subs ruined by passing airplane much more regularly than by satellites by the way. They have flashing lights and leave distinct signature in subs.