SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sun really active around AR2824 and 2826 (26th May)

I am observing today using the PST + DS. Both sunspots showing a great deal of activity especially AR2826 which is extremely bright - is this the start of a solar flare?

There are a few small Proms plus a larger filament on the Northern end of the Sun.

There is another area of Plage going West from the 2 sunspots.

Worth a look in Ha if you can otherwise AR2824 and AR2826 are a good in white light 

An update - I have set up my Skywatcher 150P with front solar filter + UV/IR filter + Baader ND filter. The sunspot AR 2826 is really interesting in white light. Its a ring shape so the area is quite large.

• Like 7

I was just looking at them in white light, with my Skymax 127 and solar filter.  AR 2826 looks like a tropical archipelago with little tiny islands dotted here and there. I couldn't resist  imaging it:

MVI_0052_pipp_AS_P20_grad4_ap26_conv.thumb.jpg.a6ba4d81b002a838522372c3e1f70042.jpg

Visually it was pretty close to this view, albeit a bit smaller at 100x.

• Like 13

Out observing with 127mm mak and white light filter. Lots of detail when seeing good. Eye floaters and dust on the optics a bit of a nuisance for white light looking at black spots though!

• Like 1

Looking nice isn’t it? Just had a quick look at lunchtime, seeing is quite wobbly but good detail when it settles. Best attempts at a smartphone image here.

232908D4-9E93-40DF-A5CC-2F5F1E8B43DB.jpeg

7FB3F5A2-5551-4FDC-88BB-10654609DA95.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Much better than my efforts. 

20210527_151101.jpg

20210527_151836.jpg

Was that with the TAL Paul?

Might be worth trying a UHC or OIII filter in there if you’ve got one, it would tidy the CA up and boost the contrast a bit, much like a Continuum filter.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was that with the TAL Paul?

Might be worth trying a UHC or OIII filter in there if you’ve got one, it would tidy the CA up and boost the contrast a bit, much like a Continuum filter.

Yes Stu with the Tal and a single polarising filter just couldn't get my phone in the right place. 

I don’t know if this is any help, but my iPhone will not take any picture with low mag eye pieces.

A 10 mm plossle in my 150 pds is about the max I use for observing anything. For finding and wider field I use the 25 and 17mm eps but my phone camera will just not find focus unless I am 10mm or less like 7mm.

I had not thought about using filters. I have an Olll, but fail to see how it is useful on a hydrogen/helium target. Am I missing something obvious?
Of course I am, the obvious is often the most over looked.

Marvin

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I don’t know if this is any help, but my iPhone will not take any picture with low mag eye pieces.

A 10 mm plossle in my 150 pds is about the max I use for observing anything. For finding and wider field I use the 25 and 17mm eps but my phone camera will just not find focus unless I am 10mm or less like 7mm.

I had not thought about using filters. I have an Olll, but fail to see how it is useful on a hydrogen/helium target. Am I missing something obvious?
Of course I am, the obvious is often the most over looked.

Marvin

It should be possible to focus with longer focal length eyepieces, I’ve done it with a 40mm 2” in the past. It will be about positioning of the phone at the right distance from the eyepiece, and using an app that allows you to fix the focus.

The sun is a broadband target, it emits light right across the spectrum. Using a narrowband filter does get rid of CA in achro scopes and also tightens things up to improve contrast in granulation and faculae. I use a Continuum filter, which is 535 to 545nm bandpass, but if you don’t have one, or don’t want to invest in one just for solar, an OIII is worth a go to achieve a similar result. Not as good but it does help.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

It should be possible to focus with longer focal length eyepieces, I’ve done it with a 40mm 2” in the past. It will be about positioning of the phone at the right distance from the eyepiece, and using an app that allows you to fix the focus.

The sun is a broadband target, it emits light right across the spectrum. Using a narrowband filter does get rid of CA in achro scopes and also tightens things up to improve contrast in granulation and faculae. I use a Continuum filter, which is 535 to 545nm bandpass, but if you don’t have one, or don’t want to invest in one just for solar, an OIII is worth a go to achieve a similar result. Not as good but it does help.

Would the oiii in conjunction with the polarising filter work, I have a new phone adapter just trying get used to using it.

Adapter.jpg

20 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Would the oiii in conjunction with the polarising filter work, I have a new phone adapter just trying get used to using it.

Adapter.jpg

Should do Paul, worth a try at least.

That’s not a holder I recognise but most of them work pretty well, even the cheapies.

• Thanks 1