SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Earth’s Orbital Motion around the Sun

This is a duplicate post from a competition thread.  I noted that @davew has done this and it enables replies to the post unlike the competition thread format.  We can discuss the merits of various chocolate snacks or even technical questions...  @James I note the intermittent lighthouse illumination didn't appear to impact your time lapse?

A ‘Sidereal Day’ is the time taken by the earth to rotate on its axis relative to the stars, and is almost four minutes shorter than the solar day because of the earth's orbital motion around the Sun.  A celestial object therefore reaches the same position in the night sky earlier each day.

This can be seen in the attached composite of 3 images of the rising spring Milky Way in the south eastern sky in March, April and May. Each taken earlier and earlier in the night, yet the Scutum Star Cloud is in approximately the same position.  See images for date and times.

(Times are a bit approximate as its not set correctly on my camera and there was the matter of GMT -> BST!  Have also attached a rotated version for clearer viewing..?)

Cheers, Paul.

Trio.jpg

Trio rot.jpg

• Like 2

Best I don't comment on the merits of chocolate snacks as I struggle to get past the idea that sheer quantity isn't all ;) Or rather I fail completely...

The lighthouse worked in my favour I think. It was odd - it wasn't a full on coastal lighthouse but taking a timelapse sitting 40ft from a gert big light, not to mention a row of LEDS along the pier was somewhat unusual... however, it illuminated the water nearly that was otherwise dark as pitch (the pier blocked off all the town lights) and the houses/buildings in the distance. There were no lights around those buildings at all at night but the lighthouse light nicely reflected from them  :) In fact I had far more illumination 'issues' at Budleigh when I failed to allow for my shadow appearing on the far riverbank as I was standing 200 metres away with another camera. Although I wouldn't call it an issue really.

I like your images and the idea :) Also the differing backgrounds - I could be cheeky and take my time-lapse pictures and just use the ones four minutes apart, about every 8th image and just say, aye, here's tonights, here's last nights, here's the night before that etc. Wouldn't look suss at all... 🙄

James

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

We can discuss the merits of various chocolate snacks or even technical questions... 

I was thinking of emailing James, to mention, casually, to Grant that he should run it by Steve that we should have a new section on " Recipes and light snacks ".  As the majority of my imaging post was about Chocolate then there's an obvious need.  Any dissenting voices regarding Plain Chocolate Bounty Bars would be instantly banned, for obvious reasons. 😆

You've made a great series of images that although we know it exists, we never show the march of time. And what's more, we get to see three rather nice images again.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... a new section on chocolate snacks would just get spammed with images of Mars Bars and Milky Way bars.. 🙃

@clarkpm4242 - I see the snow on the hills on the March image. If your May has been anything like mine I'm guessing your May image was taken on a colder night :) ?

• Like 1