SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Leonard May Become Naked-Eye Visible in December

Comets are probably my favourite subject, having seen or imaged 102 since my first in 1983, so I'm hoping to see Leonard soon!

I didn't think to try last Thursday morning due to the bright Moon. It was the first clear night for ages, and likely the last for a while. Judging by images I've seen posted so far, the Moon would not have been such an issue.

Anyway, regrets aside, good luck all over the next few weeks!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Taken from the garden on the 25th November in bright moonlight. I could only get the astrotracer to track in one mode. For a cheap grab and go setup it's not too bad.

pentax k70 with 55-300mm lens at 300mm. I used the astrotracer gps taking 12x 20 seconds exposures, ISO 6400. Lazy processing 😇Just light frames no flats etc....

Stacked in DSS processed in rawtherepee.

Leonard.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 15

That's a great record. I'm bracing myself for an early morning look at this. I let the dog out at 5am this morning and there was a lot of cloud around or I might have given the big binos a shot. It was very cold out there mind you. 

I did get a chance to find Comet Leonard this morning, though the opportunity was briefer than I'd hoped.

It was very clear when I set up my Meade 127mm ED refractor at just after 1am, but I had to wait for the comet to clear a bush that was conveniently also shading my location from a street light.

After finding Comet Leonard's elongated and easily-visible form in the 'scope at about 2:10am, I added my DSLR and started taking a series of 60-sec exposures. That's when it started clouding up, each exposure more murky than the last!

I'd hoped to get around 25 frames, especially given the high ISO I was using (6400), but finished with just 8 acceptable ones.  All the same, I stacked and processed them this evening, with this result.

Regards, Mike.

Leonard 127mm b.jpg

• Like 11

I have a few days off coming up and am hoping to get a look at the comet and maybe a good photo, i have just been looking at stellarium and the projection at my location is it will break the horizon at 2am rising high in the sky until sun up on 3rd jan and subsequent nights. 

Fingers crossed & I'll pray to the cloud gods for some clear nights

18 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

The only thing stopping me is the weather and only have a few days before it ducks under the horizon. 

I'm dealing with sea fog the past few days. 30 miles inland and it's less than 1/4 mile visibility!

Yesterday drove 15 miles farther inland hoping to get out of it with no luck!

• Sad 2

On 08/12/2021 at 17:20, wookie1965 said:

The only thing stopping me is the weather and only have a few days before it ducks under the horizon. 

I tried at the beginning of December. From my garden Leonard is not in a great  position so I’ve only have a few chances.

I got up at 4am. It was clear then with only a few high clouds. I quickly setup and allowed some time for cooling. And it was chilly.

On that morning Leonard wasn’t far from M3, so I planned to hop from there. Quickly found M3 which was a nice sight, especially after not seeing it for some time. Maybe I lingered too long but as I was looking at M3 clouds suddenly rolled in - and that was it. Typical! 

Edited by PeterStudz
Spelling
  • Sad 2

Late report from N. Yorkshire Dales.  Friday 10th.

Was setting up for tracked telephoto DSLR image and looked up to check star field and there is was naked eye.

An oval smudge to the SSE.  A pleasant surprise.  It was still astro darkness at 05.50  so ideal conditions. 

Very nice in 15 x 50 IS Canon binoculars. 

Paul

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Late report from N. Yorkshire Dales.  Friday 10th.

Was setting up for tracked telephoto DSLR image and looked up to check star field and there is was naked eye.

An oval smudge to the SSE.  A pleasant surprise.  It was still astro darkness at 05.50  so ideal conditions. 

Very nice in 15 x 50 IS Canon binoculars. 

Paul

Well done I had given up on seeing the Comet again. 

• Thanks 1

Why is it whenever I want to see something it's not visible, it's gone below horizon now and only briefly just above horizon while it's daylight. It's literally been cloudy for two months solid other than the odd day or two.