Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BullsEye Focuser - DIY Arduino + Trinamic TMC2209 based focuser with temperature measurement

kbrown

11 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Cmon fozzy, hag in there - keep with the good advice.... that simple myfpro link you provided was top drawer - wish I'd seen it before I went full-blown esp32 +bells +whistles

you know it took me 15 mins then it clicked what you where referring to rather than an of the cuff remark yes took a while with Robert but in the end sorted glad to have helped 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

you know it took me 15 mins then it clicked what you where referring to rather than an of the cuff remark yes took a while with Robert but in the end sorted glad to have helped 

Yeah, sorry I rambled 😉

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dazzystar said:

Can I build and try this using a Pico or must it be a Pi 4? Assume, I can't use a Pi 4 emulator within Windows right?

Just to go back a couple of posts, rest assured that we're trying to help, @dazzystar - if there was a 'messy' way to achieve what you wanted then we'd have mentioned it... (And if there were, it would probably have involved jumping through flaming hoops that would make the suggestions we have already put forward look like a primary school project!) 

No. There really isn't a workaround that we haven't thought of - we've been through this loop before, standing on the shoulders of the giants that have created the great focuser projects we've mentioned thus far... 

If you want to build a working ASCOM focuser, look back through the suggestions and work out your preferred option - by all means ask more questions, but listen to the advice offered. 

If you were considering the Bullseye build, the simple myfocuser link @fozzybear posted actually looks easier (and you don't really need anything more complicated than that). A few different components to buy, but still way cheaper than a retail autofocuser... 

Your call.

• Thanks 1

Just to let you know I have started to look into writing an ASCOM driver for this but my lack of ASCOM, C# and Windows .NET development experience means that it is going to take some time to get there. At the moment I can't even get the basic template stuff to compile without issues (what have I gotten myself into?). Could be months before I'll have anything usable available...

11 hours ago, kbrown said:

Just to let you know I have started to look into writing an ASCOM driver for this but my lack of ASCOM, C# and Windows .NET development experience means that it is going to take some time to get there. At the moment I can't even get the basic template stuff to compile without issues (what have I gotten myself into?). Could be months before I'll have anything usable available...

Great news Kari!

13 hours ago, kbrown said:

May be this site Ardufocus.com will be of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a nightmare but it would appear that the mounting screw holes on the Nema 17 PG5 would be too close to the larger hole on the 3D printable case design by Kari as he used a non-pg model. (like 0.75mm from the edge!) which would probably end up shearing through the PLA quite quickly? Real shame as I love your design and can't think of any other way of mounting the motor in a case.

Even if I made the large hole even larger so that the gearbox poked through, there no way of mounting it. Attached is the spec sheet for the motor in case you come up with any ideas. I'll also put a copy of this in the channel for others.

17HS13-0404S-PG5.pdf

5 hours ago, dazzystar said:

Bit of a nightmare but it would appear that the mounting screw holes on the Nema 17 PG5 would be too close to the larger hole on the 3D printable case design by Kari as he used a non-pg model. (like 0.75mm from the edge!) which would probably end up shearing through the PLA quite quickly? Real shame as I love your design and can't think of any other way of mounting the motor in a case.

Even if I made the large hole even larger so that the gearbox poked through, there no way of mounting it. Attached is the spec sheet for the motor in case you come up with any ideas. I'll also put a copy of this in the channel for others.

17HS13-0404S-PG5.pdf 139.67 kB · 1 download

Would a 3d-printed adapter plate to convert the PG5 into standard nema17 mount help? 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2161044

• Like 1

• 3 months later...