Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron FI 130 for Astrophotography

kman42

I've seen a Celestron FI 130 come up locally for pretty cheap. Had a close look at it, and since it has a dovetail mount I can remove the scope and put my DSLR rack on it. The aluminium legs are very slightly wobbly, but I'm pretty sure I can stiffen the tripod with a few extra bracing members. At first glance it looks like a cheap and easy way of getting motorised tracking for my Astrophotography, but my main question is how good is the tracking on the mount? Is it accurate enough for wide field Astrophotography up to about a 400mm lens? 

This is an Alt-Az mount isn’t it? So will be limited for astrophotography as the field of view will rotate as it tracks across rhe sky. Not impossible though if using short exposures and lots of them.  There is a thread on here somewhere about "No EQ DSO" images which should show you the kind of image you might expect. 

Edit: this is the thread, lots of images taken with Alt-Az mounts 

Edited by CraigT82