SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nova Cassiopeia and the Bubble Nebula

Craig123

Nova Cassiopeia and The Bubble Nebula

A rich area of the night sky imaged over early April with its many stellar objects and I was  lucky  to catch the new  Nova Cas  over several  clear nights.
The bright 'star' at centre top of the image above the bubble  is the new Nova . It suddenly appeared on March 18 this year and was catalogued as V1405. There was no sign of anything bright there previously but the light soon  increased to magnitude 8 and was spotted by keen eyed observers . It was originally  a binary star system with a dwarf star that begun to syphon off Hydrogen from the main star and then heated.
The bubble Nebula is thought to be up to 11,000 light years away  and was formed around 300, 000 years ago when hot Wolf Rayet star ( with a radius 15 x that of our Sun ) ejected a shell rich in Oxygen giving the  blue colour, which formed the bubble around it. The star has since moved through space from the centre to the edge of the Bubble. It will eventually explode as a supernova. It is surrounded by great clouds of Hydrogen and Sulpher seen as reds and pinks. Also seen the Scarab like NGC 7538 and  M52 star cluster. The lobster claw pincers are sneaking in on the left  towards Herbig Haro just  under the Bubble. 
22 hours 600 s  processed as SHO @ - 20
Skywatcher Esprit 100
Heq5 Dark frame stellar drive 5
ZWO Asi 1600 mono  SHO
Bortle 5
Derwent Valley.

2021-05-21_07-40-02.jpg

Edited by Craig123
  • Like 32

• 2 months later...

I was just getting first light on my L-eNhance filter and decided to get a quick 10 minutes on the bubble to see what improvement was delivered, I was surprised how bright the nova still is. I guess the strong hydrogen excess is helping to make it pop in the filtered view?AAF06F4F-4D63-4C1D-8A15-86E651E527EC.thumb.jpeg.591bc662da7a129f37a0aade1d559a04.jpeg

• Like 2