SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen Porta II mounted off-center on the photo tripod

Hi!
I've been looking for some portable visual setup options recently and I managed to get myself an AT72ED and Porta II on an aluminum tripod. However, the legs for the mount are too big for any useful long-distance transportation without a car, so I was thinking about smaller and more lightweight tripod options

I've seen a guy on CN who uses Zomei 818 legs with his Star Adventurer and Evostar 72ED. So it got me thinking if this model will be okay for my purposes. But there's another problem..

As you know, the 3/8" thread on Porta II is off center (see the TONGKW's picture from CN below), hence I'm not sure what to expect if you are to mount it directly to, say, Z818 mentioned above.

Vixen Porta II head mounting (hole size?) - Mounts - Cloudy Nights

Did anyone have any experience with off-centered use of Porta II on your own tripod?

P.S. I'm aware of a special adapter but I'm interested in an off-centered mounting and how it affects your observations

Edited by astrochumak

• astrochumak changed the title to Vixen Porta II mounted off-center on the photo tripod