Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar action - moon occults Mebsuta

Pixies

6 minutes ago, Pixies said:

The Moon and Mars are in the same field of view in my 10x50 binoculars. The Moon is about to occult the star Mebsuta (Epsilon Geminorium) in a few minutes, too.

Nice !

I got some good views earlier and of Mercury.

A quick session on the nova and the heavens have opened and it's pouring down. Just as well my scope / mount were under the eves of the house !

And that's Mebsuta back out again. 23 minutes by my reckoning.

It just skimmed behind the Northern edge of the moon. Disappearing behind the unlit side and then popping back into view just under the Northern tip of the lit crescent.

That's the first time I've observed the Moon occulting a star, and it was surprisingly interesting to see. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pixies said:

That's the first time I've observed the Moon occulting a star, and it was surprisingly interesting to see. 

Occultations are great. I love the way stars just blink out in an instant behind the dark limb of the Moon, it really shows they are point sources, vs a planet which takes time to go behind the limb.

I’ve not seen one, but a grazing occultation can lead to the star blinking multiple times as it passes behind mountains and valleys on the limb.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Occultations are great. I love the way stars just blink out in an instant behind the dark limb of the Moon, it really shows they are point sources, vs a planet which takes time to go behind the limb....

Reminds me a little of the old fishing saying "the only thing more attractive than the appearance of a fishing float is it's disappearance" :smiley:

Edited by John