Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi,

Just got a s/h EQ5 go-to mount and am trying to align the polar scope.

The guy I bought it from used a Pole Master camera for polar alignment and I thing he had removed the polar scope to use that.

The problem I am having, apart from having no manuals and being unable to find any online, is the target in is not in 'clock' position, i.e. 0 at the top 6 at the bottom, when the mount is in 'home' position, and therefore I can't see how I can polar align, and I not can't see a way to adjust it to what I think is the correct position.

Also the green 24 hour clock ring is very loose even though the polar scope is fully screwed in, is there something missing from the slot underneath, ( please see photos attached)?

I can understand adjusting the three screws to center the polar scope in the mount and I think I can work out actual polar alignment, there are enough videos on line for that but this has me stumped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_20210515_172145919.jpg

IMG_20210515_172258251.jpg

IMG_20210515_172526685.jpg

Sounds like the lens with the etching is on is loose, it doesn’t need to be 0 up, use an app  (app will give you lat and long and time as well which you also need to align) on your phone to see where Polaris should be and you just orientate the same way.  To check if its in the right place put the polar scope pointing at a distance object with it over at 90 degrees, rotate head through 180 degrees and see if the central point has scribed an arc and is now on the same object, if not it needs adjusting using the 3 tiny screws, it took me about 5 attempts to nail it.  Word of warning, move the screws only 1/8 to 1/4 turn each time otherwise you run the risk of the lens falling out (believe I found out the hard way)

• Like 1

You should be able to download the instruction manual off the web.  Looks like you've got the polar scope with the 'clock' graticule so polar alignment is fairly easy with that.  First ensure that an object remains on one of the circles when you rotate the RA axis (for best accuracy I personally would try to use a more distant object than that chimney!). Then, when you come to polar align, just ensure that the 0 hr on the 'clock' is vertically upwards (by rotating the RA axis as necessary) and then set Polaris to the 'time' on the gratcule as given by the handset or one of the various polar alignment apps that are available.  You don't need to worry/use the 24hr green clock ring unless the want to find objects using their RA and I suspect that it's virtually next to useless for that and just put there for show.

Edited by Seelive
Typos
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, basically you are both saying the orientation of the 'clock' in relation to the mount is irrelevant as long as you rotate the RA to the correct the orientation of the polar scope before polar aligning using an app?

The clock numbers are irrelevant, you just need to match the view in an app, such as PS Align Pro, in your polar scope. However, if you want to get the numbers correct, use this method but the mount must be level to do it:

Place Polaris at the centre of the polar scope. Then using altitude bolt only, place Polaris at the top of the circle. Rotate in RA until 12 o’clock is on Polaris. The polar scope is now calibrated correctly (assuming it’s central in the mount). Now carry out PA and when complete return to the home position..

As for the green setting circles….there good for only one purpose imo, setting up the perfect home position 

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1