SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

question I have a celestron telescope,and I am still new too observing the stars and plants , I have a 10 mm lens,and a 20mm lens, what  am trying to figure out is what lens is better for looking at the stars and plants,I will eventually get the hang of my telescope,but am new to using my telescope, I also have celestron  binoculars that I am using at the moment, and have been going out on my porch in the early morning to gaze at our amazing cosmos , but will soon start to use my scope,for gazing  at our vast cosmos 👾

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goddasgirl2021 said:

question I have a celestron telescope,and I am still new too observing the stars and plants , I have a 10 mm lens,and a 20mm lens, what  am trying to figure out is what lens is better for looking at the stars and plants,I will eventually get the hang of my telescope,but am new to using my telescope, I also have celestron  binoculars that I am using at the moment, and have been going out on my porch in the early morning to gaze at our amazing cosmos , but will soon start to use my scope,for gazing  at our vast cosmos 👾

Hi goddasgirl

Both eyepieces are good for stars and planets. The 20mm will give you a wide view and the 10mm will give you a higher magnification and a narrower view.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goddasgirl2021 said:

thank you 

question how do you get a high reputation in this forum, am still new in this forum,and want to get a good 

Rep in this forum with all the members

Just keep posting. 🙂

On 12/05/2021 at 16:42, goddasgirl2021 said:

What celestron model do you have? The focal length and aperature of your scope will determine how well (read big and detail) you can see in the planets. The moon is always a good place to start.

This site will give you an idea of how the objects are likely to be seen in your scope https://www.stelvision.com/en/telescope-simulator/

Good luck.

Hello goddasgirl, and welcome!

This is your telescope...

https://www.celestron.com/products/travel-scope-70-portable-telescope

It is a 70mm f/5.7 achromat, or refractor, and with a rather short, 400mm focal-length.  The telescope is configured for low-power, wide-field views, and not unlike your binoculars.  Observing the planets requires medium-to-high powers in order to see them well, up close.  The planets become interesting at around 150x.  Let's see what you would need to reach that...

400mm ÷ 150x = a 2.7mm eyepiece; very short indeed.

There's the problem, a lack of 2.7mm eyepieces in the marketplace.  Quite frankly, the focal-length of your telescope is a good bit too short to make it easy to reach the higher powers for observing the planets and double-stars.  I have this Celestron "AstroMaster" 70mm f/13 achromat...

4c.jpg.35cebede8c71271379488b9770f59060.jpg

Note the longer length of the tube, and compared to your own.  That telescope has a 900mm focal-length.  Let's see what it would take to reach 150x...

900mm ÷ 150x = a 6mm eyepiece; there, that's better, as 6mm eyepieces are readily available online.

Now, you can get a 2x-barlow...

https://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-2x-achromatic-barlow-lens.html

You will insert the barlow into the telescope first, then your diagonal into the barlow, then your 10mm eyepiece into the diagonal.  That combination will give you an effective, simulated 3.3mm eyepiece, and for a power of  121x.  If you use a 9mm eyepiece(133x); if an 8mm(150x).  Now, that's not taking into account focussing issues that may arise.  

Then, the diagonal that came with your telescope is an Amici-type diagonal, and primarily for daytime/terrestrial observations; birds in trees, ships at sea, that sort of thing.  It can be used at night, but for nighttime use a star-diagonal is best...

https://agenaastro.com/celestron-1-25-telescope-star-diagonal.html

At almost f/6, a star-prism shouldn't introduce too much additional false-colour when viewing brighter objects, if any.  In any event, a comparable, economical star-mirror is unavailable, and possibly into 2022.

If you have any questions, we'll be here to answer them, and to the best of our abilities.  Enjoy!