Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 11th May

Got clouded out. A big gap opened up so rushed focusing and did some drifts with the Evostar 120 using a UV IR CUT Plus Baarder 495 longpass 

Skyview mount QHY462C Celestron omni 2x Barlow.  Daylight 16 degrees

Star test was done earlier, can see a heat plume. One side of focus looks good the other mushy. Typical chinese achros. slightly under or over corrected lenses collimation looks good

04:01 UT

01_10_03_lapl8_ap1 (2).png

01_07_17_lapl8_ap1 (2).png

evo.jpg

h (2).png q.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice, surprising amount of detail for a 120mm. Are you using an ADC for these Neil? 

No ADC Craig. Though i want one. It did surprise me how tight Jupiter looked on screen. Lets not forget the murk we are stuck with at the moment around 15 16 degrees, morning daylight. Starting to feel this is a reasonably good example of a mid size chinese frac. some under or over correction, but aint they all. Got it more in focus, than the 9th. More will be possible when we can image at 25 degrees. into darkness. The 495 longpass wasnt to cure fringing. But to help remove or minimize the out of focus blue spectrum which softens these achros a lot. Thanks goes to Neil English for hes report here that convinced me it was the ideal filter for this telescope. Will be interesting to see what it does on the moon. 

New Adventures with the Shorttube 80 Achromat. | Neil English.net

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...