SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CGEM 8 EdgeHD vs CGEM 9.25

On 11/05/2021 at 15:04, gorann said:

If you aim at astrophotography including deep space (not only planets which will be in the center of the image field) I would without doubt chose the EdgeHD8 since it has superior optics with a flat field. No brainer to me. The 9.25 is a planetary and visual instrument that lacks the extra lenses needed to give a wider flat field. The 9.25 will catch 33% more photons, which is not much, and then you can catch those by just exposing 33% longer with the EdgeHD and have nicely shaped stars all over the image. Also the 8" scope weighs 3 kg less, so easier to handle for the mount.

EDIT: The longer focal length of the 9.25 makes it even less useful for deep space.

I have experienced my first official heartbreak today. The place I ordered my AVX from called and told me they do not have it in stock even though the website said available so now I am back to work searching for an alternative.

I do see a 9.25 AVX (not HD) in stock so I’m wondering if I should go with that.🤷‍♂️

I am a bit sad to be honest.

Edited by Maideneer

Have you checked other firms? I had a quick look at UK companies and it seems to be out of stock (maybe Brexit has made Chinese imports to the UK slower than in the rest of Europe)

Teleskop Service (TS) in Germany (a very good firm) say they will have it in stock tomorrow and seems slightly cheaper than the UK firms:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6045_Celestron-Advanced-VX-EdgeHD-800-GoTo-Telescope---203-2000mm.html

Astroshop.eu in Germany, another good supplier, actually have it in stock but they ask I higher price than TS. However, they may match the TS price if you send them an email.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/celestron-schmidt-cassegrain-telescope-sc-203-2032-edgehd-800-avx-goto/p,33055

Edited by gorann

Thanks for this, I will keep an eye on the stock. I am in the US so I will hopefully wish shipping is not too much extra but it might be worth it in the end.

You sir, have my thanks.

On 14/05/2021 at 14:26, Maideneer said:

Thanks for this, I will keep an eye on the stock. I am in the US so I will hopefully wish shipping is not too much extra but it might be worth it in the end.

You sir, have my thanks.

Maybe you should put you location in your profile so we know where you are😉

My trusted supplier in the US is OPT in San Diego (probably the biggest Astro firm in the US). I buy from all over and from whoever has things in stock and the best price - right now I am waiting for a scope on ebay from Japan. I see that OPT says you have to wait until November for an EdgeHD8 on an AVX mount, so the German options for you sound the best. Maybe it is the Chinese / US trade sanctions that mess up US deliveries from China.

On 14/05/2021 at 03:03, Maideneer said:

I have experienced my first official heartbreak today. The place I ordered my AVX from called and told me they do not have it in stock even though the website said available so now I am back to work searching for an alternative.

I do see a 9.25 AVX (not HD) in stock so I’m wondering if I should go with that.🤷‍♂️

I am a bit sad to be honest.

I feel your heartache.

An order I place in March is still awaited due to Covid impact on shipping and manufacture.

Fortunately we are generally, in northern hemisphere, also in a period of fairly short or non-existent astronomical darkness.

Is the whole order out of stock? Or just the AVX/Edge?

6 minutes ago, iapa said:

I feel your heartache.

An order I place in March is still awaited due to Covid impact on shipping and manufacture.

Fortunately we are generally, in northern hemisphere, also in a period of fairly short or non-existent astronomical darkness.

Is the whole order out of stock? Or just the AVX/Edge?

No, not the whole order.  I am getting some accessories (eyepieces, filters etc) and I am going to fit those on my Travelscope 70 for now on an AZ-GTi mount I got today.  I want to say this is a blessing as it will allow me to learn about the accessories first which I can use on the EdgeHD later on when things calm down in the market.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My waiting is finally over!  Agena Astroproducts got the C9.25 CGEM EdgeHD in stock (5 of them) today and I secured one along with StarSense Autoalign, focal reducer and a dew shield.  All this waiting and checking stock every single day for over 7 months was driving me insane.  The upside was I got to learn a lot on my little crappy TravelScope 70 which gave me a good foundation for the basics.  And now, I'm going to have new challenges, plenty of them but my saving grace is that I have most of the other good quality accessories I am going to need already and am familiar with their use.

This is so exciting!

Edited by Maideneer