Narrowband

Omega centauri globular cluster NGC5139 with a dob

Tiago Ferreira

Image not edited (EAA) what you see is what you get. Got it last night very low in the sky, at only 5º lat and within 1 minute i had this image on my laptop screen. Dobsonian power.
Omega centauri globular cluster NGC5139 the largest and the most massive known globular cluster in the Milky Way at 17k light-years distance from Earth.
19x4s
zwo 294
12" dobsonian in eq platform

omega centauri glob cluster NGC5139 Stack_19frames_76s_WithDisplayStretch.png

Edited by astrocanito
  • Like 13

That's a great image from your location. I once captured it from near Cadiz, so at a similar latitude to you, and you're right, it is very low above the horizon and needs to be clear of the murk. (I recall that I had a lighthouse beam swinging round every few seconds to deal with!) It has a surprisingly elliptical shape compared to the other big globs.

Martin

• Like 1

Its an amazing object and a great capture with it being so low down.

I've seen it a couple of times from Boa Vista, Cape Verde islands (Lat 16ºN) and it looks similar naked eye to what M32 Andromeda looks from a dark site here in the UK.

• Like 2