Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BBC's Country File this evening 9th May.

Yes, I saw that .... and the penny has just dropped with me on where I’d come across Steve Tonkin before. He gave a talk at the local astronomy soc on binocular astronomy. 

PS Good to know that area has been given dark sky status. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Just came in and watched Country File. Can be seen on catchup tv. Steve Tonkin features.

Apologies if this has already been posted

Link below.

Countryfile - 9 May 2021 - 9/5/2021 - Sunday - BBC - TV Everyday https://tveveryday.com/countryfile-9-may-2021-952021-sunday-bbc/

Hi Martin,

Yes, I was watching Countryfile as usual over dinner and was surprised (and pleased) to hear Steve's name mentioned in their item about dark skies in southern England..and then the great man appeared in person and did an interesting but short interview about the importance of trying to bring back dark skies in the UK.

In case any of you don't know, Steve is "BinocularSky"  here on SGL, and is a literal mine of great info on the use of Binoculars of all types in Astronomy.

I still enjoy dipping in and out of his excellent book "Binocular Astronomy" https://www.springer.com/gb/book/9781846287886

Steve also freely shares an excellent monthly sky guide specifically for  binocular observers.. you can subscribe to this useful e-resource by contacting Steve via his website, or by pm through SGL. 

A top guy with encyclopedia- like knowledge of binoculars👍😊

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Text correction
  • Like 6

• Guest changed the title to BBC's Country File this evening 9th May.