SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any way to confirm DEC and RA from an image exposed?

Gbarr56

Very much a novice. I shot an image last night but not sure if it’s Bodes Galaxy. I was hoping I slewed to it but not sure as I had to move the scope around to find it. I uploaded the FIT image to nova.astronomy.net. Nowhere do I see RA and DEC coordinates referenced.

In other words, I have known coordinates for a DSO. I shot an image that may be what I was looking for.  Is there anyway to get the RA and DEC identified by uploading the image and some 3rd party via calculations, identifying the DEC and RA? 

1 hour ago, Gbarr56 said:

uploading the image and some 3rd party via calculations, identifying the DEC and RA? 

You can exactly do that on the site below, it will give the coordinates and even match and annotate the known objects you captured 

https://nova.astrometry.net/

Edited by Atreta

Astrometry.net will provide you with that information as soon as plate solve is finished.

If you don't have an account - you should wait for job to get finished and for the page to refresh with relevant info.

If you have account - I think you can log in later and examine all your plate solves.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Astrometry.net will provide you with that information as soon as plate solve is finished.

If you don't have an account - you should wait for job to get finished and for the page to refresh with relevant info.

If you have account - I think you can log in later and examine all your plate solves.

This is what the site gave me.  Where is the dec and RA coordinates?  

7 minutes ago, Gbarr56 said:

Thank you very much for the info!  Now I need to learn how to hit my target vs key padding around.

If you connect your mount to a computer - you can automate whole process.

- take exposure

- plate solve

- correct mount position

This will help you get on target in minutes every time - it also helps with framing as it will display FOV angle and all.

What software do you use for image capture? Most software have option to plate solve and you just need ASCOM driver for your mount to be able to "sync" mount to correct position and direct it to go to wanted coordinates by software (like Stellarium or CDC)

• Like 1