Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

250PDS solar image - 7th May 2021

AbsolutelyN

Finally got around to making myself a solar filter for my 250PDS and this is the very first image taken just now. Luckily there is a nice looking sunspot just coming into view too.  

Taken using Baader solar film (photographic version) and a home made filter cell which steps the scope down to 8" as I could only get hold of A4 sized solar film. 100 frames stacked with ZWO 1600MM. 

2021-05-07-0745_Sun.thumb.jpg.a9fb44dfe786024de901f967eb032270.jpg

2021-05-07-0745_Sun__CROP.thumb.jpg.d67c368034c48c45c8799b7d6c94b9df.jpg

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 7

I made an off centre solar filter for my 250, fits between the spider vanes so probably more like a 4” scope now.  I wonder if you’ll get significantly more resolution with the bigger aperture  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I made an off centre solar filter for my 250, fits between the spider vanes so probably more like a 4” scope now.  I wonder if you’ll get significantly more resolution with the bigger aperture  Hard to tell with the 

I don't know, this was just a quick test during a 20 min clear spell, but I expect/hope so. I've never done solar with anything bigger than a 80mm refractor. I'm hoping to use the 178MM so that will test it better. 

Edited by AbsolutelyN

I have a full aperture for my 8" 200p and one for the off axis cap. The larger one does have superior resolution for imaging and is much, much more secure .

• Like 1