Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroEQ Board

astrosathya

Hi Everyone,

The motherboard on my HEQ5 PRO went bust a couple weeks ago and after trying everything to fix it and looking at the cost of a new one, I've decided to make myself a AstroEQ board based on the Arduino Mega. I would be very grateful if anyone here has built one and your feedback please. The original AstroEQ forum isnt very active.

18 hours ago, lenscap said:

Hi Sathya,

Have you considered OnStep;

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3860

The OnStep project is very active and, while you can use  a Mega2560 if you wish, you have the choice of several other boards, most of which which are  more capable than the Arduino.

yes, i'd thought about it, but since a local friend had made his own DIY GOTO mount using AstroEQ (and that I am a dud in electronics), I decided with the latter. Since Tom is not replying to messages anymore, or the astroEQ forum is inactive, I am looking for anyone who can draw me a PCB Gerber file so that I can get it printed and solder the components myself.

Just some observations:

• The Onestep is fully open source by the looks of things.  The design and firmware for whatever off the shelf computer board (tensey , mega wemos etc) is available for download.  This is needed to make the project work
  • The firmware for the AstroEQ is not open source, but the compiled hex file does seem available via GitHub, but with so many supporting files and bootloaders installation doesn't appear straight forward and you may still find you have to purchase the firmware (that was what I was told when I asked for the firmware a year or two ago).
  • A pre-programmed Atmel chip on a custom PCB has been made for the AstroEQ project, but you can't purchase one, technically this with the point above makes the AstroEQ a non runner as without the firmware it won't work
  • The schematics for the AstroEQ have nee made available as PDFs and appear to have been drawn in Eagle.  You can download Eagle for free, but are limited to a small board size that is smaller than a mega, so designing a plug in "shield" wouldn't be an option without purchasing the software.  
  • Regardless of which Schematic and PCB layout software you opt for it will need manually drawing as AstroEQ don't appear to make the Eagle files available for import.  Likewise their PCB files are not publicly available.  
  • The Onestep project uses off the shelf modules making construction easy - lets face it an EQ mount is no different to a 3D printer or CNC machine just with different firmware.  The concept is the same - controlling two stepper motors

I've designed PCBs for my own projects, the most recent is a 4 layer PCB that plugs into a Mega and provides 8 independent thermostats for control of the heating elements in my reptile enclosures.  It's a long process and can take two or three redesigns before you get it right.  The AstroEQ schematic isn't complicated, but matching components to the BOM listed would take some time and may require custom designing of parts if they have used parts that are not available in all countries.  Once the schematic is drawn and checked you then design the PCB from the schematic, again this can take some time as you are often moving parts around to make for easier routing of the tracks.  

Cost... Well lets assume you could purchase a pre-programmed Atment chip and you have designed your PCB.  you have checked it over and feel confident it has no errors, and a printed paper mock up fits the case or mount.  China is the place to have them made.  PCBWAY or JLCPCB are the two popular options.  The minimum order is 5 boards, so you could be looking at $50-70 for the order shipped by DHL.  Not sure about now, but pre pandemic I've uploaded designs on a Sunday and received the PCBs the following Saturday and that wasn't on a premium 24 hrs service...  You will get charged customs duty and VAT so you could end up with five boards costing you £50 - £80.  Lets say the board works and no revisions are required. What do you do with the other four boards?  You could sell them if you can find four other people in a similar situation as yourself, but typically you end up putting the surplus boards away in a draw never to see the light of day again.  In my case I have used three of the thermostat builds in three units, and I could always sell the two remaining boards with the compiled code as there are a lot of people wanting them (but due to legislation and the fact it switches mains voltages I'm not doing that).

So basically you've probably spent more than it might have cost to purchase a ready made PCB form AstroEQ, assuming the shop reopens.  But have also spent hours, days or weeks getting there.  On the other hand, designing a PCB to accept the Onesep design would probably take an afternoon... and basically only consists of header pins or sockets.  I did something like that for a DIY project to motorise a photographic slider.  An arduino nano and a stepper driver board.  A small PCB with rows of pin headers and the two just plug in.... simples !

Anyway... that's my 2p worth.

I  built a AstroEQ last year to go with my EQ5

I found the PCB & Programmed Chips on ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183765973009?hash=item2ac94e3811:g:r~YAAOSwTSlgNqU5&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

It lists post to india at £25

Unless you buy the completed PCB assembly you also have the hassle of sourcing all the other components as listed on the AstroEQ site.

If I was starting again I think I would probably go with Onstep as more options - Also a complete MKS Gen-L board & a couple Stepper Drivers would be cheaper & have  higher amount of steps.

Bit more hands on to program but thats just something else to learn & apply.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malc-c said:

Just some observations:

• The Onestep is fully open source by the looks of things.  The design and firmware for whatever off the shelf computer board (tensey , mega wemos etc) is available for download.  This is needed to make the project work
  • The firmware for the AstroEQ is not open source, but the compiled hex file does seem available via GitHub, but with so many supporting files and bootloaders installation doesn't appear straight forward and you may still find you have to purchase the firmware (that was what I was told when I asked for the firmware a year or two ago).
  • A pre-programmed Atmel chip on a custom PCB has been made for the AstroEQ project, but you can't purchase one, technically this with the point above makes the AstroEQ a non runner as without the firmware it won't work
  • The schematics for the AstroEQ have nee made available as PDFs and appear to have been drawn in Eagle.  You can download Eagle for free, but are limited to a small board size that is smaller than a mega, so designing a plug in "shield" wouldn't be an option without purchasing the software.  
  • Regardless of which Schematic and PCB layout software you opt for it will need manually drawing as AstroEQ don't appear to make the Eagle files available for import.  Likewise their PCB files are not publicly available.  
  • The Onestep project uses off the shelf modules making construction easy - lets face it an EQ mount is no different to a 3D printer or CNC machine just with different firmware.  The concept is the same - controlling two stepper motors

I've designed PCBs for my own projects, the most recent is a 4 layer PCB that plugs into a Mega and provides 8 independent thermostats for control of the heating elements in my reptile enclosures.  It's a long process and can take two or three redesigns before you get it right.  The AstroEQ schematic isn't complicated, but matching components to the BOM listed would take some time and may require custom designing of parts if they have used parts that are not available in all countries.  Once the schematic is drawn and checked you then design the PCB from the schematic, again this can take some time as you are often moving parts around to make for easier routing of the tracks.  

Cost... Well lets assume you could purchase a pre-programmed Atment chip and you have designed your PCB.  you have checked it over and feel confident it has no errors, and a printed paper mock up fits the case or mount.  China is the place to have them made.  PCBWAY or JLCPCB are the two popular options.  The minimum order is 5 boards, so you could be looking at $50-70 for the order shipped by DHL.  Not sure about now, but pre pandemic I've uploaded designs on a Sunday and received the PCBs the following Saturday and that wasn't on a premium 24 hrs service...  You will get charged customs duty and VAT so you could end up with five boards costing you £50 - £80.  Lets say the board works and no revisions are required. What do you do with the other four boards?  You could sell them if you can find four other people in a similar situation as yourself, but typically you end up putting the surplus boards away in a draw never to see the light of day again.  In my case I have used three of the thermostat builds in three units, and I could always sell the two remaining boards with the compiled code as there are a lot of people wanting them (but due to legislation and the fact it switches mains voltages I'm not doing that).

So basically you've probably spent more than it might have cost to purchase a ready made PCB form AstroEQ, assuming the shop reopens.  But have also spent hours, days or weeks getting there.  On the other hand, designing a PCB to accept the Onesep design would probably take an afternoon... and basically only consists of header pins or sockets.  I did something like that for a DIY project to motorise a photographic slider.  An arduino nano and a stepper driver board.  A small PCB with rows of pin headers and the two just plug in.... simples !

Anyway... that's my 2p worth.

Hi Malcolm,

Are you the same Malcolm who's been replying to my HEQ5 blown board messages on EQMOD mailing groups?

Either way, thank you for your detailed reply.  Its definetly worth more than 2p. I will explore the OnStep too. The Gerbers for the shield PCB is available online (for the Arduino Mega Board), not just the schematic. I can print 10 PCB's here in Bangalore for 20$, so no more China :)

We get all components here for dirt cheap prices too you can perhaps but 10 capacitors for a British penny here. Since its the rainy season here and a lockdown's been imposed until month end, I wont be able to get myself out to buy anything. I'll take a call on it and keep this thread going for a while :)

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, skybadger said:

I'd recommend onstep on a CNC v3 hat attached to a wemos R2, about 15£ and no soldering.  I have two of these, on for a skytee and a more powerful stepper version for a dob. 

this looks like its right up my alley. I am a total dud with electronics, though i can solder well. Please could you send me a tutorial etc for this version?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, skybadger said:

I'd recommend onstep on a CNC v3 hat attached to a wemos R2, about 15£ and no soldering.  I have two of these, on for a skytee and a more powerful stepper version for a dob. 

would these items be the ones you recommended please?

Wemos R2

CNC V3

anything else that i need to get please?

1 hour ago, Xoc1 said:

There are many options on the Onestep Group,io

The WeMos R32 with CNC V3 Shield link should give you the right part references

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/19670

yes, i've read and bookmarked it. What I need to figure out though is how to attach the wemos to the cncv3. There is not a single schematic to show what goes where, atleast I am not seeing the Idiots Guide to Getting it together. :)

This is my Wemos R32, CNC V3 build before I put it in a case;

WemosD1R32CNCv3power.thumb.jpg.8e091937a916ef2ebc9a9ae3dd890df2.jpg

The lower board (that the power jack plugs into) is the R32.

The CNC (with all the yellow headers) just plugs into it. It only fits one way.

The two stepper drivers (with the blue heatsinks) plug into the CNC.

Just connect the  power &  the motors & you have a basic functional Onstep controller that can be directed by the Onstep app and/or Skysafari via Bluetooth or by Stellarium/CdC/Kstars etc by USB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, astrosathya said:

would these items be the ones you recommended please?

Wemos R2

CNC V3

anything else that i need to get please?

Just make sure that you get the right stepper drivers , don't get the tmcxxxx ones, you'll need to solder. The wiki pages lay out the driver modules you can use. 

Also you can misalign the R2 and CNC boards by 2 pins, just align the PCBs though and you're fine. 

8 hours ago, skybadger said:

Just make sure that you get the right stepper drivers , don't get the tmcxxxx ones, you'll need to solder. The wiki pages lay out the driver modules you can use. 

Also you can misalign the R2 and CNC boards by 2 pins, just align the PCBs though and you're fine. 

I have 2 spare DRV8825's at home. I'll check the list if they work. My mind is shuttling between the CNCV3 and STM32 controllers. 

23 hours ago, lenscap said:

This is my Wemos R32, CNC V3 build before I put it in a case;

WemosD1R32CNCv3power.thumb.jpg.8e091937a916ef2ebc9a9ae3dd890df2.jpg

The lower board (that the power jack plugs into) is the R32.

The CNC (with all the yellow headers) just plugs into it. It only fits one way.

The two stepper drivers (with the blue heatsinks) plug into the CNC.

Just connect the  power &  the motors & you have a basic functional Onstep controller that can be directed by the Onstep app and/or Skysafari via Bluetooth or by Stellarium/CdC/Kstars etc by USB.

Please could you let me know the size of the pins? Would standard female jumper cables work or maybe JST Connectors? My original HEQ5 steppers came with what look like 0.5mm 4 pin JST type connectors.

14 minutes ago, skybadger said:

They are standard pitch 2.54 mm and yes the du pont jumper cables will fit. 

Meanwhile i found a seller with the Wemos D1 8266 board. Hope this will work. What do you think please? The CNC shield is also available with the same vendor. If you think they are the right ones, i'll order them right away. Thanks again for your help and guidance. 

1 hour ago, astrosathya said:

Meanwhile i found a seller with the Wemos D1 8266 board. Hope this will work. What do you think please? The CNC shield is also available with the same vendor. If you think they are the right ones, i'll order them right away. Thanks again for your help and guidance. 

Hi Sathya,

I believe you need a Wemos D1 R32 board which has an ESP32 processor and not the item you link to which has an ESP8266 chip.

You need the CNC V3. I think you may  link to an earlier version . Not sure if it will be OK.

I strongly urge you to study the Wiki until you are familiar with it. It has all the info you need including links to most of the main components and it explains the reasons for choosing various options. Keep the questions coming.

9 hours ago, lenscap said:

Hi Sathya,

I believe you need a Wemos D1 R32 board which has an ESP32 processor and not the item you link to which has an ESP8266 chip.

You need the CNC V3. I think you may  link to an earlier version . Not sure if it will be OK.

I strongly urge you to study the Wiki until you are familiar with it. It has all the info you need including links to most of the main components and it explains the reasons for choosing various options. Keep the questions coming.

purchasing components/boards from abroad, especially China is not really an option because of heavy custom duties (41%) and prolonged delivery times due to the severity of the pandemic.

I found the ESP32 board on Amazon. I think this should work? Its absolutely identical to the one linked in the wiki. 

I think i can safely order this. I checked out the CNC Shield. Other than the colour scheme, everything looks identical. if they dont match, i'll perhaps return it.

I will definetly have more questions once the board/components arrive and i begin the build.

10 hours ago, lenscap said:

Hi Sathya,

I fully appreciate the 'study the wiki until you are familiar with it' advice, but man, is it confusing!!! There are options on top of options on top of options! Some seem to have been good choices in the past but because the wiki is a collection of information over time it is difficult to tell exactly what is relevent now... 

Having said that, some of the comments on this thread have been very useful (and that photo!) and may well be enough to convince me to take the plunge. Knowing there is up-to-date advice available on the forum will be a big help. 

Thanks all! 

Ady

(apologies for the thread hijack, OP) 

• Like 1