SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Safari or Stellarium?

I've recently put Sky Safari on my phone after really good reviews and I've already got Stellarium on which I love, I've had Stellarium a few years now but I'm wondering if Sky Safari is better and it seems that you use it with ASIair which I'm going to get soon. Not sure now which is the preferred app to have or is it just a personal taste of which to have. Clear skies outside so going to do a bit of visual 👍

The Stellarium mobile app diverged from the main Stellarium project and was (still is?) developed independently. I haven't used the app for many years but fully recommend SkySafari. I bought the Pro version simply because I wanted to help support future development.

It does integrate with some imaging stuff. I've used it myself with Ekos/KStars.

It's great as a standalone planetarium too. I use it frequently for simple "what's up tonight" to planning faint comet hunting/imaging. It doesn't integrate with my imaging software, APT, but I still use it at the scope to get RA/DEC of targets not in APT's database.

The standard SkySafari is probably no better than other apps, but Plus and Pro are excellent. Many useful features, expandable databases if you want them, connection for scope control etc. A lot of this does come down to personal preference I guess, but I think it’s hard to beat. Worth looking out for the reduced price sales which they have fairly regularly if you don’t want to stump up full price.

Well, I've gone and purchased the ASIair pro bundle from FLO - hope I've done the right thing. Do I need Skysafari plus or pro  on my phone for ASIair pro  to recognise it - I really am raw on this so excuse the basic questions!