Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New scope choice - 120ED? Any other options?

So my last scope didn't work out as intended, which means I need a new scope.

My first thought is to get a Skywatcher 120ED, but, are there any other options up to that price level?

It needs to be light enough to fit on an EQ5. Something like an 8" Newt might be too bulky for me to lift - but is tempting. Cats of any kind are over complicated and lacking in contrast - been there, done that. At the moment I have a shortlist of one! Any other suggestions welcome.

If I were to have one scope to cover a number of bases, a 120ED would be right up there as an option I reckon Michael. If you wanted a little more, I guess one of the 125mm f7.8 clones such as TS or Technosky might be worth considering.

• Like 2

The thing about the 120ED is its length- presents challenges for some mounts IMHO.

@Mr Spock if we were closer I'd offer mine for a view/ sale. I have a Moonlight focuser as the stock one is adequate but just IMHO.They are VG scopes.

Going much faster focal ratio wise means a triplet (to me) but I'm not sure there are any 120mm f6 triples around? TS maybe?

Edited by jetstream

Couldn’t be happier with my new Tecnosky 125. Aside from the better build quality compared to the 120ED I’m finding it is a step up over the SW doublets optically.  One thing that has impressed me in particular is how well it takes very high magnification with the image still staying sharp. Great contrast as well.

https://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGTEC125F78

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, jetstream said:

The thing about the 120ED is its length- presents challenges for some mounts IMHO.

That’s true Gerry, it might challenge an EQ5. Not sure my GP would be totally happy with one on it but others may be able to offer more informed comment. It is relatively light though so may be ok.The 125mm is longer (I assume) and heavier so would be more challenging. 

• Like 1

Just now, jetstream said:

For this price I would ask around about these scopes and if satisfied seriously consider one.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3041_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-115-mm-f-7-Triplet-Apo---2-5--RAP-focuser.html

If I recall correctly, @Commanderfish had one, recently sold but fairly reluctantly I think. Might be an option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

If I recall correctly, @Commanderfish had one, recently sold but fairly reluctantly I think. Might be an option.

The almost 400 Euros off caught my attention. I wonder why the sale reluctance? Genuine issues or just a lack of model/brand momentum? Over here 120ED's sell like hotcakes...but shipping costs peel off a huge portion of the sale.

3 minutes ago, jetstream said:

The almost 400 Euros off caught my attention. I wonder why the sale reluctance? Genuine issues or just a lack of model/brand momentum? Over here 120ED's sell like hotcakes...but shipping costs peel off a huge portion of the sale.

Yep, good deal. I think Dinesh just had too many scopes and a couple had to go, this being one of them. Wanted some more grab and go, and ended up with a Ta....... no, sorry, what am I doing, let’s not turn this into another thread like that! 😱😱🤪🤪🤣🤣

Back to 120EDs/TS 115mm etc etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep, good deal. I think Dinesh just had too many scopes and a couple had to go, this being one of them. Wanted some more grab and go, and ended up with a Ta....... no, sorry, what am I doing, let’s not turn this into another thread like that! 😱😱🤪🤪🤣🤣

Who is Dinesh Stu ? 🤣

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I had 9 scopes, some had to go to fund a Flourite addiction! The 115 Apo is very good, mine is sold, it's on special offer at TS now but that won't last once they've sold one or two.

115 is an odd size, people usually buy 100 or 120. 115 is actually a brilliant size as the FL is only 800mm and the weight is only 6.2kg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

The Helios 120 is about 4kg and the ED120 is about 6.5kg with that heavy lens cell / objective.

It is quoted at 5kg where I’ve checked?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm using a Helios 120 achro on the EQ5. It is adequate.

If you are happy with the stability of the 120 achromat at FL=1000mm then the 120 ED at FL=900mm may be very slightly better on the EQ5.

I think the 120ED is a brilliant all rounder 👍

• Like 1

I've just weighed my ED120. The OTA excluding a diagonal and finder but including tube rings, a dovetail bar and the Moonlight focuser comes in at 5.7kg.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently using an ED120 quite happily on a Vixen GPD2 but can't remember how my green GP coped with it.

My setup as should be about the same weight as John's as it's identical, the only difference might be the tube rings.

Ade

• Like 1

I bought @Commanderfish's TS 115 and I like it so far. Can't comment (yet) on the views in any great detail, as I've only had a day without cloud to try it out. But it's got great build quality with an excellent focuser, and, crucially, it's fairly short (800mm F7, only 71cm w dewshield retracted). As a result I was surprised to discover it actually sits on my cheapo AZ3 mount without TOO much vibration (maybe 1 sec). I'd definitely want to upgrade the mount soonish, but the point is that it's relatively compact for its power and well balanced, so you shouldn't need a huge mount for it.

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

I considered the 115 but then decided on the 125 as I wanted it for visual and only about 1kg heavier. 

Me too, as I'm also in it for visual use only. But there weren't any going secondhand and my budget was £1k including a couple of decent EPs. For the sale price TS Optics have it up for right now (under £1k, brand new!), it seems to be a great deal for a 4.5" ED triplet. I also figured it should have decent resale value, given it would also be a good imaging telescope option for our astrophotography-minded comrades. 

Whether it would arrive on time in the UK from Germany during these strange times, however, I couldn't say

Edited by Basementboy
  • Like 1