Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JUNE 10TH - PARTIAL SOLAR ECLIPSE UK - SOME SOLAR FILTERS IN SHORT SUPPLY!

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

Yes indeed, Mark was very much involved in getting the show on the road. I also remember @Helen setting up a great visual resource for the youngsters.

Yes I organised the event at the Madlay Environmental Study Centre which was next to BT's International Relay Station. WE had about 700 people in attendance including many SGL members who were from the star party. The event was the 20th March 2015. I had the pleasure of being interviewed by the BBC live at the event.

A few pictures to remind you.

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

madley.eclipse.jpg

madley.f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark! It was a wonderful day, one I shan’t ever forget. Those pictures are fabulous, must have been really great fun showing the children the eclipse. So glad they were able to see it for real!

Thanks for all your hard work organising it 👍👍

• 2 weeks later...

Only a week away, just about time to get yourself a solar filter, if you can find a suitable one in stock.

More worrying, it's close enough to start looking at your local weather forecast for the event  😄.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forecast looks good here.

Downside is that we have family commitments now which are likely to make observing the thing difficult / impractical :rolleyes2:

Oh, well, fortunately I've seen a few other ones !

11 hours ago, John said:

Forecast looks good here.

Downside is that we have family commitments now which are likely to make observing the thing difficult / impractical :rolleyes2:

Oh, well, fortunately I've seen a few other ones !

That's a shame John. When you are having your family commitment,  couldn't you get away with nipping outside wearing a pair of solar eclipse glasses?  😎

13 hours ago, paulastro said:

That's a shame John. When you are having your family commitment,  couldn't you get away with nipping outside wearing a pair of solar eclipse glasses?  😎

That's a thought - I'll keep a pair handy where ever we happen to end up.

This is the Met Office Weather Map for Thursday at 10am which you can set for three hourly intervals.  By 1pm most of the sun in the E has gone.  On the live map you can zoom in of course.

Still 2 1/2 days to go, so it may change.  Anyway, in even the worse weather, its always possible the sun will peak out for brief periods. 🙂

PS Here's a link to the live map.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map#?map=SignificantWeather&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1623045600

445582071_Screenshot_20210607-200007_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.08f4453e948ed4a83946e7501c0f49d8.jpg

Edited by paulastro
Link added

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

This is the Met Office Weather Map for Thursday at 10am which you can set for three hourly intervals.  By 1pm most of the sun in the E has gone.  On the live map you can zoom in of course.

Still 2 1/2 days to go, so it may change.  Anyway, in even the worse weather, its always possible the sun will peak out for brief periods. 🙂

445582071_Screenshot_20210607-200007_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.08f4453e948ed4a83946e7501c0f49d8.jpg

Are you closer to the black cloud or the blue raindrop, Paul? 😞

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Are you closer to the black cloud or the blue raindrop, Paul? 😞

I have cloud over me.  In fact if you look at the live map it looks better - due to the increased scale.  The nearest sun to me is Sheffield, then its either Norfolk, Newcastle, Sussex or Kent.

Still, could get a clear break anywhere with a bit of luck 🙂