Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

Recommended Posts

Here is a subject I don't often think about these days. Youtube recommended this for me. They must have known the weather has turned...

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a thought.

This expansion means that we should be able to detect density change in observed galaxies as we look further away?

Space is expanding and galaxies were earlier closer than they are now. As we look further away - we are also looking back in time.

If we assume homogeneity of universe - and there is expansion of universe - well, when we look at distant galaxies - they should be much more bunched up than we would assume from density of near by galaxies.

Is this so?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

If we assume homogeneity of universe - and there is expansion of universe - well, when we look at distant galaxies - they should be much more bunched up than we would assume from density of near by galaxies.

Pretty sure that’s correct Vlaiv, although someone with far more knowledge than me would have to confirm.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think it is what we see - think of the Hubble Deep Field and Ultra Deep Field  - it's like every available parking space has been taken by a Galaxy .  Having said that there will also be the factor of the timeline for the rate of Galaxy formation - no doubt some complicated maths will describe the interplay there. I love this video - music fits perfectly (Shine On Crazy Diamond) .  Oh ignore the hack partway through - Ill try find a better one. 

Jim 

 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's a question - can we actually compare galaxy density , any spatial measurement really, between back then and now?  What I'm getting at is given that spacetime was/is expanding then are we able to compare a standard unit of spatial measurement across the universe's evolutionary epochs (don't know if that is right word) ?  Are these measurements invariant in that way ? 

Jim

Edited by saac
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe a word of it! Solid state universe, zero expansion. Existence makes so much sense this way. Why complicate things with a Big Bang?

Just think how many problems could be solved if all the people trying to find dark matter looked for real stuff😁

Marv

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I don’t believe a word of it! Solid state universe

 

And before it was a solid state universe, it was a valve universe.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2021 at 22:59, saac said:

Here's a question - can we actually compare galaxy density , any spatial measurement really, between back then and now?  What I'm getting at is given that spacetime was/is expanding then are we able to compare a standard unit of spatial measurement across the universe's evolutionary epochs (don't know if that is right word) ?  Are these measurements invariant in that way ? 

Jim

Yes but they will be model dependant . Currently the best accepted model is the LCDM one.

Regards Andrew 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, George Jones said:

And before it was a solid state universe, it was a valve universe.

And before that acoustic.

Regards Andrew 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I did think how can I blame my solid state comment on spell check but realised that my mistake from Solid State which should have been Steady State is actually a very funny gag.

I can see Fred Hoyle holding his head in his hands. Valve Universe, might be a breakthrough.

Laughing with you all,

Marv

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a solid state universe we'd be a Silicon based life form.. :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.