SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginner question about using 2" light polution filters with a ZWO ASI533 MC PRO dedicated astro camera.

Dave G

I upgraded my Canon dslr set up and just received my ZWO ASI533 mc pro today. I also purchased a Optolong L-eNhance 2" filter to use with it.

I'm using a William Optics GT81 81mm f/5.9 Apo Refractor with the 0.8x flattener. I understand about using the adapters to connect everything, but the front of the light pollution filter is not threaded so I can't connect to the flattener or spacer. I know there are filter drawers that would allow the use of a drop in filter, but I would think there is a way to connect everything together.

I apologize if this is astrophotography 101, but it's hard to find anything that explains this basic topic. There is a lot to try and absorb and it's frustrating to run into such a simple roadblock.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Edited by Dave G

Thanks. The front of the flattener is much too large for a 2" filter. On the back, it's the correct size and the filter screws on with no problem, with the front of the filter pointing backward but, the front of the filter is not threaded so nothing can attach to it. I think the only solution is using a filter tray?

Is there any chance you could send the 2" back and exchange it for the 1.25" version? That will fit on the T2-1.25" adaptor which should have come with the camera and then it screws inside the 11mm thick spacer on the front of the camera.

The other alternative is the ZWO Filter Draw which will replace the 21mm spacer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Is there any chance you could send the 2" back and exchange it for the 1.25" version? That will fit on the T2-1.25" adaptor which should have come with the camera and then it screws inside the 11mm thick spacer on the front of the camera.

The other alternative is the ZWO Filter Draw which will replace the 21mm spacer.

Yes was going to day the same thing you simply don't need a two inch. Filter for that camera and it comes with an adaptor for a 1.25 inch in the camera box. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up with a filter drawer which makes sense for future filter use. I think I'll stick with the 2" filter in case I change to a camera with a larger sensor in the future. I guess it makes sense that using a filter to support the weight of a ZWO camera is not the best way to go. It's all a learning process, but I appreciate the advice. :)

• 2 years later...
On 04/05/2021 at 22:07, Adam J said:

Yes was going to day the same thing you simply don't need a two inch. Filter for that camera and it comes with an adaptor for a 1.25 inch in the camera box. 

Resurrecting this thread, as I would like to get the Antlia Triband filter which unfortunately comes only in 2" form. Is there a way to connect this to the ASI533MC pro without using a filter drawer? I also use the Baader CC so need to bear that in mind.

1 hour ago, AstroMuni said:

Resurrecting this thread, as I would like to get the Antlia Triband filter which unfortunately comes only in 2" form. Is there a way to connect this to the ASI533MC pro without using a filter drawer? I also use the Baader CC so need to bear that in mind.

Does it thread onto the badder coma corrector, seem to remember that mine had a thread on the scope side of it. 

As an aside though I don't like tri band filters duel band is the way to go. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

37 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Does it thread onto the badder coma corrector, seem to remember that mine had a thread on the scope side of it.

I did try that with a borrowed filter. There is a thread but for some strange reason I couldnt attach the filter without adding the stop ring which meant that the whole assembly did not fit into the focuser tube.

Edited by AstroMuni

2 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

There is a thread but for some strange reason I couldnt attach the filter without adding the stop ring which meant that the whole assembly did not fit into the focuser tube.

It should go on. Do you mean that the thread locks up before its fully engaged? 

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

It should go on. Do you mean that the thread locks up before its fully engaged? 

It was spinning around but when I attached stop ring it grabbed it.

Edited by AstroMuni

2 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

It was spinning around but when I attached stop ring it grabbed it.

I think i need a photo as I am a little confused as to what you are trying to describe. As far as i remember the stop ring does not interact with the filter thread. 

Edited by Adam J

4 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I think i need a photo as I am a little confused as to what you are trying to describe. 

Dont have the filter with me now as it was borrowed for the weekend. Will try again at another time and post pictures

47 minutes ago, Adam J said:

As an aside though I don't like tri band filters duel band is the way to go. 

BTW, I did a quick comparison of the Antlia Triband vs ZWO Dual band and posted here

Edited by AstroMuni