Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

19 hours ago, Jubi_Resik said:

So I'm definitely luckier than other people from the balcony. I don't have any Streetlights near my place. I only got 3 neighboring houses that also don't emit almost no light. The next bigger place is 10km away and i live on the border of a national park.  My balcony is facing south , the only view obstruction are the mountains in the background, but since i also live on top of a hill this is not that much of an issue. I have a 180° view from the balcony with just really small villages with no real light pollution. balcony use is mostly for winter, because we got really cold dry nights. in summer time would be more in the hills of the Gantrisch region.

That sounds like my situation ,as we have a flat in southern Russia, edge of park location . When i go there i will be observing from a balcony too . As Heather "says" a mak or an sct is a good choice .. although , Heather .. i don't think Joyce is a good name for a Mak lol ;)

22 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:
4 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m a bit confused about how @Jubi_Resikcan have a view south whilst seeing Polaris from the same place? With a 180 degree view it’s going to be limited to a fair degree still.

That I don't know,  but if the house is similar to traditional wooden ones I've seen in Austria and Bavaria, the balcony may well be at what we might consider the 'end' of the house as far  as traditional UK  design goes. Alpine roof design allows whatever drains off it to  shed to the side,  away from the access /  windows etc. Presumably because of snow.. So perhaps the 'A'  of the roof line as seen from the balcony allows a sight of Polaris from the end where the obstruction is low  ?

Pure speculation of course !

Heather

Yeah it's a traditional "Chalet" Type of House with a high A Frame, and the Balcony is 1.5 meters extended from the Roof. So actually i got more than 180° 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

That sounds like my situation ,as we have a flat in southern Russia, edge of park location . When i go there i will be observing from a balcony too . As Heather "says" a mak or an sct is a good choice .. although , Heather .. i don't think Joyce is a good name for a Mak lol ;)

Joyce Mak sounds perfectly fine to me ... i f I ever need an alternative name for witness protection, that would work for me , maybe add a little hint of exotic glamour with Joyce von Mak, or de Mak, or el Mak ...   🙂 Curses ! that's given it away ! :evil4:

Joking  aside, a big balcony like that sounds like a brilliant viewing space , assuming it is made of wood (and on what is no doubt very well insulated house) so unlikely to cause major problems with thermal currents.

Heather

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Joyce Mak sounds perfectly fine to me ... i f I ever need an alternative name for witness protection, that would work for me , maybe add a little hint of exotic glamour with Joyce von Mak, or de Mak, or el Mak ...   🙂 Curses ! that's given it away ! :evil4:

I think "Jimmy" would be better.....they even made a song about it.

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As far as SCTs and planets, the only SCT I've ever look through that produced a sharp image of Jupiter was an EdgeHD.  Traditional SCTs always seem to produce a somewhat blurry view as compared to a Newtonian with a premium mirror of the same aperture.  Newtonians with commercial mirrors fall somewhere in between.  I think it's down to better figure, lack of astigmatism/coma, flatter field, and smaller central obstruction of the premium Dobs with a Paracorr.  The EdgeHD line fixes many of these issues with its corrector lenses in the rear baffle tube making the image significantly sharper at high powers.

On 03/05/2021 at 14:11, Jubi_Resik said:

Hello There

I've used so far a really cheap telescope that you can look at the moon, but its time for a big upgrade.

What I'm looking for:

Go To

Photo / Picture Capturing

Looking at Planets (no blurry images)

looking at nebulas

looking at galaxies

different eye peace's

possibly connect to pc software for screen usage

price range up to 1500$

I've no idea if I'm out of my mind with my wishes. but for me the market and numbers and features of the description for the telescopes are a bit overwhelming.

So I hope that someone can recommend a telescope for me

Thanks Jubi

You want too much with your limited budget.

I would recommend starting observing and learning the sky maps using a 7x50 binocular.

For general use,  an 8 inch Newtonian or a Dobsonian is great for solar system and okay for deep sky if you do not have light pollution.

Imaging is another dimension. You better experience observing first because it will cost you less than 1k but imaging can go easily up to 10k.

Clear skies, my friend.