Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thetford Forest-dark site

dark star

I have been to Thetford  Forest looking at birds a couple of times in the last few weeks and thought it mught be quite a good place for stargazing,  For example St Helen's Picnic site car park, where there arn't too many trees to block the view.

Has anybody been stargazing in Thetord Forest? The good thing is if I arrive 2-3 hours before it gets dark I can have a look for some birds and it won't be a totally wasted trip if it turns out to be cloudy.

I have been to Margaret Roding in Essex a few times, but Thetford Forest looks like it may be a bit darker. It is around one and a half hours drive from where I live on the London/Essex border. Another good thing is that it appears from the weather forecasts that when it is cloudy in Essex the skies are sometimes clear in Thetford Forest, as it is quite a distance away.

I want to also try the Dengie peninsula in Essex, the car park for St Peter's Church in Bradwell on Sea, which is really out of the way. But the only time I managed to get there it was cloudy, even though the forecast said clear skies. I did see some bats though!

Prior to the star parties at Kelling Heath in north Norfolk the venue was in Thetford forest near to East Harling. The Thetford forest site was adjacent to a caravan site.

You’ve mentioned the Dengie peninsula.  My local club has 2 dark sites, one on the Dengie peninsula the other at RSPB Wallasea Island.  Both these sites are beyond a locked gate and access is very strictly monitored. To gain access you’d need to be a paid up member of Castle Point Astronomy Club.  Perhaps a long shot given your London location but maybe a possibility.

Ed.

Thanks for the information. I have completed the form to ask about membership of the Castle Point Astronomy Club. Hopefully it will be possible to go the club's dark sites at weekends, as I work full time this is usually the only time I can travel.

As usuall the weather forecast is constanly changing. For today at the moment it shows both clear skies for Thetford Froest and the Dengie Peninsula. If the forecast stays the same I will go the the Dengie Peninsula as I have been there before at night and know it is OK.