Bits from the 20th

neil phillips

Hopefully soon, have missed out on the recent clear run due to being away from home but now I'm back the weather has turned... typical! It's usable now but I needed to fettle the mirror cell a little as the floating triangles were locked solid and definitely not floating, ok now though. Got an Astrosytems secondary holder and spider on order as I don't think the standard SW affair is really suitable for the 70mm secondary.

What rings did you go for?

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Hopefully soon, have missed out on the recent clear run due to being away from home but now I'm back the weather has turned... typical! It's usable now but I needed to fettle the mirror cell a little as the floating triangles were locked solid and definitely not floating, ok now though. Got an Astrosytems secondary holder and spider on order as I don't think the standard SW affair is really suitable for the 70mm secondary.

What rings did you go for?

Nothing special just repaired my old rolled steel orion rings. Sky watcher ones are more solid tbh. But just waiting now, likely around 3 weeks. eager to get the old beast imaging again. Will be interesting to see if the slightly smaller Antares 1/30th secondary makes any difference ?

So you could have a bash next lunar outing maybe ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

Nice work Neil.

Hi Simon many thanks. Had a bit of a love affair with this old mass produced starter scope. But with optics this sharp. Hard not to be drawn in by it. Wonder who was doing the optics for the power seekers some 15 odd years ago ? i am guessing synta ? Who ever it was. Was doing a damn good Job. Might get the primary hiluxed one day. Shine a torch and it has pin holes

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

This is brilliant, and a real inspiration to those starting out and worrying about affording or handling a big, cumbersome scope. ☺

Thanks Mike this was first time that i ever tried imaging with it. since re starting. And renovating it.  Really couldnt have asked more of it. Shows whats possible on a very extreme budget doesnt it. As you say hope it inspires others with budget equipment to try there own hand

Edited by neil phillips

3 hours ago, Nick Smith said:

Nice one Neil.  Can't keep a good man down!  Look forward to your images once you are up and running properly

Good to hear your still imaging Nick. Was wondering recently if you was still active.  Great to see you around. I gave up. But the pandemic, and lots of time at home, seemed to reignite my love for astronomy.  

Still wowing us with that little 114 newt!  Amazing what you are pulling out of it.

I too keep going back to the files from the 19th and 20th.  Now I am ALL messed up as I got a 4K monitor.  Its really mucking with my head on my processing!  haha  My 183MM files look oversharpened to me now, and my 290MM files look better to me on new monitor.  Going to take some getting used to.

Clear skies!

Mike

13 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Still wowing us with that little 114 newt!  Amazing what you are pulling out of it.

I too keep going back to the files from the 19th and 20th.  Now I am ALL messed up as I got a 4K monitor.  Its really mucking with my head on my processing!  haha  My 183MM files look oversharpened to me now, and my 290MM files look better to me on new monitor.  Going to take some getting used to.

Clear skies!

Mike

Know exactly what you mean Mike about monitor changes, its a real throw off isnt it. Must be even more so switching to hi res. As you say, you just need time to adjust. Find your feet ect.

Cheers