Keeping the bird droppings off my Hitec weather station

old_eyes

This may be something well known to all you experienced astrophotographers, but it stopped me dead for a while. So I offer my solution.

I had mounted my Hitec Weather Deluxe on a pole to support automating my observatory.

Within days, the rain and IR cloud sensor were covered in bird droppings. After cleaning the mess off a few times, I realised I had created a perfect perch for the smaller birds, with a good view and no hiding place for predators. I needed a solution. The usual commercial bird spikes are there to deter pigeons and were much too big for the little box containing my weather station. Solution? 100 mm zip ties.

BirdSpikesSM.thumb.jpg.4653f0791e33d484b2e756c0eadfea28.jpg

Gaffer tape to hold the ties in place until I had them spaced the way I wanted, then a larger zip tie to lock everything into place.

Three weeks later - so far so good!

• Mr Spock changed the title to Keeping the bird droppings off my Hitec weather station