Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pulsar Dome Drive/Controller

tomato

Having spent the morning helping @Tomatobro install and commission the Pulsar supplied dome drive and controller, I must say I am very impressed with the simplicity of the process and the performance of the unit.

For sure they aren’t cheap, but it delivers everything that is required with the minimum of fuss, if you aren’t into retro engineering and don’t have access to a fully equipped workshop then they are definitely worth considering.

2 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

I found out that the square black two pin plug that fit's into the square socket next the to power in plug is for a switched rain sensor.

Is this for the shutter controller?

Steve

The port is in the dome controller but is used to close the shutter (if the auto shutter system is fitted) if a rain sensor is fitted. The rain sensor has to short the two pins together to signal that the shutter needs to close.

13 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

The port is in the dome controller but is used to close the shutter (if the auto shutter system is fitted) if a rain sensor is fitted. The rain sensor has to short the two pins together to signal that the shutter needs to close.

Okay, you haven't installed the Shutter Controller, which makes sense now. I use an AAG Cloudwatcher to govern what opens and what shuts :)

Steve

I have the shutter controller but it's not yet installed. After installing the dome drive kit I was checking through the packaging and found a square black plastic terminal with screw connectors. I could see the socket in the dome controller display but its use was not detailed in the fitting instructions. I contacted Pulsar and they told me that is for a rain sensor input of the switched output type.

• 1 year later...

This is a really helpful discussion.  I have just installed the pulsar dome drive and was wondering what socket 6  on the base of the control box (reading sockets from left to right) and the supplied plug were for.

However I still need some advice from any experienced user willing to provide help.  

Firstly - the supplied encoder magnet has a yellow sticker on it.  Should this be positioned facing inwards to the encoder sensor box or facing outwards into the observatory itself? (The on-line installation guide only details concerning were the encoder magnet should be positioned).

Secondly - how does one calibrate the dome from the LCD control panel prior to connecting a PC? (This is the procedure recommended in the final paragraph on page 15 of the installation guide).

Any help will be appreciated

THANK YOU