Narrowband

AstroRookies Sterrenkot: a beginners and budget "observatory" solution

AstroRookie

Hello,

AstroRookies Sterrenkot is AstroRookies Starshed in English, so we understand each other. I'm new to the hobby and I'm basically lazy, so I quickly realized that spending 2 hours setting up my gear for each session, I would very soon call it quits. So after seeing one of Cuiv's, the lazy geek video, I understood that it's better to have the gear permanently outside and being used but wear out faster, than to have it inside not being used and last longer. So for a couple of months (september till february), I kept my gear (mount = EQ6R-pro, telescope= Orion 8 Astrograph) under a car cover outside in the grass. I soon realized that this was not very ideal, as the grass soon turned into mud, the cover also started to collect mud and I had to polar align for each session, so I needed something else.

That's when I started brainstorming with a friend who's not an astrophotography amateur, but who's very handy, has the necessary tool and knows that AstroRookie is on a budget. So that's how we came up with a tent-shed on rails, covering a platform. After a couple of sessions, I experienced that the platform was not a very good idea because when one has to walk on the platform for polar alignment the whole setup is vibrating. But I considered this my version 0.1. The tent is with a metal frame, and the whole construction has been tested with storm winds of around 100km/h and more.  I used the car cover as an inner layer against dew on the inside

After some more brainstorming, I finally decided to build a pier together with my pal. And this weekend the "observatory" is finalized. (Thanks a million once more, Filip!)

I estimate the whole thing has costed around 800 €, still a considerable amount of money for AstroRookie, but I think it's difficult to do it for less.

See attached picture. It's not high-tech nor very scientific, not automated and maybe many of you would not even think about putting their gear in it, but it's more then enough for,

AstroRookie

IMG_1819.thumb.jpeg.5ab87530f3b2f9caed85c1df6ef83730.jpeg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Mount Palomar it ain't @AstroRookie but, if it works for you it is perfect👍

Hello Swoop1,

you're absolutely right about Mount Palomar, but it was never my intention trying to make a Mount Palomar replica :)

AstroRookie

Well done for thinking outside the box. I have actually made a Budget roll of roof observatory you may be interested in seeing. I have a video on the initial build that I did about 8 months ago and just done an updated video as there were a lot of questions on specific bits so covered them. I am not suggesting you should scrape that and make this by the way but you may want to upgrade to or change what you have. My obsey is excellent and works really well. Anyway best of luck with the hobby and clear skies

Glenn

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dougie said:

As Swoop1 said, if it works for you it is perfect particularly with the sky view you have.
Now you  can make the most of it.

Hi Dougie,

you're correct about the sky view, but on the picture you don't see the light pollution 😉

Bortle scale 5 ...

AstroRookie

11 hours ago, Glennbloke said:

Well done for thinking outside the box. I have actually made a Budget roll of roof observatory you may be interested in seeing. I have a video on the initial build that I did about 8 months ago and just done an updated video as there were a lot of questions on specific bits so covered them. I am not suggesting you should scrape that and make this by the way but you may want to upgrade to or change what you have. My obsey is excellent and works really well. Anyway best of luck with the hobby and clear skies

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I watched this video while looking for some ideas and it's very well done; unfortunately, I had the restriction that I can not make a concrete floor.

AstroRookie

Hi Astrorookie.

There is no concrete floor?

That was one of the main reasons I went for the plastic shed as it does not need one. I do have a pier inside that I also built and that has a concrete base but you don't need that you could just use a tripod. In fact thats just what I did until I built the pier.

Glenn