Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Swirling prominence and other animations from Sunday

GreatAttractor

I had a nice, sunny Sunday with good-to-average seeing.

Best frames, showing active regions 2018 and 2020:

3_l.thumb.png.efee8459a7980ef90fa6f2b5daf5d8ce.png

Not much was happening in these ARs during this capture (30 s intervals, 1:32 h total):

spacer.png

(I checked in the NOAA solar event list that there was actually a small B-class flare in one of the other ARs.)

I started in the morning with the big prominence, it was calm enough back then (30 s intervals, 1:00 h total):

spacer.png

...but a few hours later (I think it was the same one - it appears this way in the GONG archive) it became a bit more lively (same speed, 1:04 h total):

spacer.png

Active regions in white light (30 s intervals, 0:34 h):

spacer.png

A bit disappointing, I was counting on more pore movement, like in this animation from a few years back.

And finally — my first CaK animation (30 s intervals, 0:58 h total):

spacer.png

Interesting little sparks in the lower sunspot, but according to NOAA there were no flares there at the time.

Everything captured with PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445), processed with Stackistry, AviStack 2, ImPPG & GIMP.

Hα: 90/660 mm refractor + Lunt 50 etalon, Barlow 1.6x.
CaK: 90/660 mm refractor + Lunt CaK B600 module, PowerMate 2.5x.
WL: SW Mak 127, Baader Astrosolar ND 3.8 + Solar Continuum filter.

Edited by GreatAttractor
  • Like 10

very nice;    calcium processing is interesting.  Depending on exposure time and gamma settings you can capture three distinct; separate layers of the surface.

I think its a bit different than offband tuning with h-alpha, because you dont actually have to detune your filter,  and  if you hit the right capture  setting you start seeing flux tubes and islands of spicules.

Same filter,  vastly different appearance.     Entirely based on capture settings.    The entire surface has spicule islands on the right.   The left it just looks like granulation.

960171638_1128Bcrop.gif.21bb5fe20ba2abc9166ab2c9d4162085.gif2073806003_11-5hi-d.gif.392f1c7fbb02cb45579d84391bf1abe9.gif

Edited by Kitsunegari
  • Like 3