Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

star atlases

tripleped

I've  read that Sky Atlas  2000 is considered a gold standard  for star hopping yet it does  cost  a bit.  What  about using  the monthly start charts in Sky and Telescope magazine? I've recently subscribed and should be getting  my first  issue  soon. What are  people's  experience with those charts? Do they have enough Messier and  NGC objects? Is the print large enough to use with a red light?  I'd be using them for dso hunting in a bortle 4 area with my new  Heritage 150 p (expected to arrive  sometime in June)   Thanks!

On 29/04/2021 at 18:28, Froeng said:

Another excellent free pdf atlas is “Tri Atlas”.

I have printed this in A3,  all three parts. The third part is hardly used as it is too detailed 😮

https://allans-stuff.com/triatlas/

this is a mirror site. Cannot recall where the original was...

TriAtlas will fill a blank CD-R if you download all volumes/parts… plus if you have an Apple iPhone or iPad it is available via the App Store. Also available as an iPad/iPhone app is Star Charts. It is a digital version of Wil Tirion’s Uranometra 2000.0

Edited by Philip R

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mr Spock locked this topic
  • Stu unlocked this topic

Just to check with the OP, and apologies if this is as specifically about printed maps, @tripleped are you open to using downloadable maps or apps on a tablet or phone, or strictly looking for printed options? Thanks

Regarding the OP's question - i'd say that the gold standard printed atlas is now the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas. There are desk and field editions. They are both relatively expensive (though cheaper than a decent tablet! 🙂

/callump

Edited by callump
sorry - typo

Don’t get me wrong - I love SkySafari! A really powerful tool, especially as it can drive the mount.

But sometimes you want that haptic experience of a good quality atlas. I had the Tri-Atlas printed and bound in A3. At that scale it is a magnificent experience to use. And perfect for desktop exploration and preparation for the nights to come. Again - Skysafari complements this well...

note: pencil added for scale

8BD52C48-FCA3-4D50-A0B8-BAB2295F996B.jpeg

E510A06E-9DC1-4BE9-9036-022F22E5C916.jpeg

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 5

I use SkySafari when observing, either with push-to encoders or to get alt and az when using just a Wixey.  Since I use it on an iPhone 7, the screen size leaves a lot to be desired, but I really don't want to carry around a tablet as well.

For planning, I use the Cambridge Atlas, Jumbo Pocket Atlas, or my field edition Atlas 2000.  I'm in heavy light pollution so the 2000 goes a lot deeper than what I need at home.  I've downloaded a number of the free online atlases, but I always end up printing out the charts which is not that convenient either.  The Jumbo is probably the best compromise for me.

If I could find a suitable mount, I'd probably go back to using RA and Dec circles like when I started in this hobby decades ago.  Otherwise, I'll keep searching for the sweetspot among atlas, etc.

On the PC I use Cartes du Ciel. It has almost everything I ever need. Though I do find the OCL catalogue lacking in detail for a lot of the entries.

For the field I use the Cambridge Double Star atlas. I have imaged the pages (for personal use only) so half a page prints out A4. I also change the contrast etc to give me something easy to see in the dark. I then annotate it with all the objects I want to see. Each page is in an A4 plastic pocket to keep them clean and dry with the whole lot stored in a folder.

Whatever you do, it's what works for you :wink2:

1802638531_D72_8486_DxO1200.jpg.79de6b1273edd0f53a48d2f950f5f5a9.jpg 

• Like 5

For me, both paper maps and digital maps both have their disadvantages when working at the eyepiece...

Paper - Insufficient detail, I don't want to wield an A3 sheet of paper in the dark, dew.

Digital - Light pollution, phone is too small and tablet is too heavy/valuable, zooming is a pain, lack of annotation.

Therefore my compromise is to create personalised A4 sheets that show the level of detail I need and I can annotate and keep as records. 

……To get back to basics. I have the Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe, cost me a small fortune!!….but it’s a beautiful piece of art, my wife says it’s the prettiest “book” she’s ever seen…..never used it!!  I’ve not Star hopped since my earliest beginnings, I use SkySafari and GoTo and everything works. However, I do feel a bit guilty having the ultimate star charts but never using them, I feel like I want to get them weathered scope side which I will be doing soon. I’m awaiting an AZ5 mount to be delivered and I intend to get out and about with it and the 4 inch refractor to some dark skies. No GoTo so I will be using the star charts properly………and maybe SkySafari too 😀

• Like 2

Nice topic regarding sky maps I like to have paper versions to peruse indoors to get a feel for the area of sky that I have selected to view and take notes ie m1 etc.

I have S ky Atlas 2000 black stars on white background and loose leaf Sky Atlas 2000 white stars on black background plus many others such as Nortons and planispheres all are useful .

I have Sky portal on my iPhone and iPad which I also have handy 

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

• Thanks 1

If experience has taught me anything it’s that there’s multiple routes to success. I’m very lucky to be able to observe with a number of experienced observers. On an evening at the observatory, I’ll be using SkySafari, low brightness and red display. Others have paper atlases out. S&T Pocket Atlas and Interstellarum being amongst the favourites. I have Interstellarum Atlas and it’s companion Deep Sky Guide. These are top notch IMO. There’s also some astronomers there using GOTO. Ultimately, we all find our targets and take pleasure in calling each other over to share the views at the eyepiece. Experience only really teaches us what works for us as individuals. I only have to look at my children to see how people can take quite different routes on the path to the same objective and be equally successful. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kimboman said:

Nice topic regarding sky maps I like to have paper versions to peruse indoors to get a feel for the area of sky that I have selected to view and take notes ie m1 etc.

I have S ky Atlas 2000 black stars on white background and loose leaf Sky Atlas 2000 white stars on black background plus many others such as Nortons and planispheres all are useful .

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

White stars on black looks great, and works for my brain, which does struggle with the inverse which is much more common.

12 hours ago, Kimboman said:

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

Hi Kimboman

Is this the one titled 'Uranometria Deep Sky Atlas' ?

I have not committed before but as a fairly experienced observer I still in the main prefer paper star atlases. Sometimes I can observe all night just star hopping from memory. One thing that has not been mentioned is the difference between California and damp UK.

I have a Son that lives in Livermore CA and I have observed on Mount Diablo on many occasions in the warm dry air. I have used a laptop whilst there using software especially because some objects are not visible from UK.

Back at home sometimes the dew is so bad it's running down the scope. I won't use my tablet in these conditions because the situation might ruin the device. I place a star atlas inside a box. I know I could laminate some charts.

So both have there place but we should be mindful of different climate situation which might affect our observing arrangements

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2021 at 16:07, Stu said:

White stars on black looks great, and works for my brain, which does struggle with the inverse which is much more common.

But, far less readable at night than black writing/stars on a white page.

On 17/05/2021 at 04:41, Astro Noodles said:

Hi Kimboman

Is this the one titled 'Uranometria Deep Sky Atlas' ?

No.  That is the Tirion Sky Atlas 2000.0 Field Edition, which prints the sky on 26 charts.

Uranometria 2000.0 prints the sky on 220 charts (2x that in edition 1), a hugely larger scale.

• Thanks 1