Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Berlebach variable spreader

Trentend

The standard spreader works fine. Looked at the variable spreader but several times the price and not needed for astro use.

Rather than getting the variable spreader your money would be better spent getting the Planet tripod that comes with the standard spreader which will be more stable than the UNI tripod anyway. 

Edited by johninderby

Thanks John, I looked at the planet but that looked quite a bit heavier and I’m ideally looking for something I can lift with the AZ100 kept on top. Suspect I’ll end up going with the Avalon tpod 110 (or Baader equivalent) which is 6.8kg - need to check though I wouldn’t need counter weights for this.

The Planet is only a couple of kg heavier but still easy to carry and with the AZ100 no counterweights need. Thought the UNI was solid until I got the Planet. Very little vibration with the UNI but absolutely zero vibration with the Planet.

Edited by johninderby

Rowan say the AZ100 doesn’t need counterweights unless the OTA used makes the tripod unstable and in danger of tipping over. The C11 OTA only is about 12.5kg 

As the Planet is a bigger more stable tripod than the UNI  might be the decider in using counterweights or not. 

Thanks John, one more question if I may. Is it the usual quick/hassle free job removing and attaching the AZ100 to whatever tripod I get? I had a look again at the weight specs and doubt I’d be able to keep/carry the mount on either the tpod or planet (16kg v 20kg respectively) so may as well get the latter if no counterweight required meaning just two parts to carry.

I have two possible setups for the AZ100 with cw bar (but no cw): either Planet or Uni 20, no pillar. I can carry either, but the Uni is noticeably easier. The Planet is on the border of what I am comfortable with, especially as I have to negotiate a gate which means an awkward turn. To make that easier, with the Planet I remove the tray and put the kegs to gather to reduce the width of what I’m carrying. I can carry the Uni with legs and tray in place,.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeremy, can I ask do you use counter weights with the planet for heavy scopes? I’m hoping not as that’s already 3 heavy items to carry out and back separately to the car (C11, AZ100 and likely the planet tripod). Not sure my knees would take a fourth. I had discounted the tpod as, although materially lighter than the planet, weights are definitely needed for that.

All of this is supposed to be giving me something more portable than the 18” dob I already have; I can’t lift the mirror box for that even when broken down and after 2 years use in the back garden I’ve never been tempted to take it apart and travel to a dark sight so know I never will. 

19 minutes ago, Trentend said:

Thanks Jeremy, can I ask do you use counter weights with the planet for heavy scopes? I’m hoping not as that’s already 3 heavy items to carry out and back separately to the car (C11, AZ100 and likely the planet tripod). Not sure my knees would take a fourth. I had discounted the tpod as, although materially lighter than the planet, weights are definitely needed for that.

All of this is supposed to be giving me something more portable than the 18” dob I already have; I can’t lift the mirror box for that even when broken down and after 2 years use in the back garden I’ve never been tempted to take it apart and travel to a dark sight so know I never will. 

I’ve had nothing heavier than a Tak TSA 120 on it so far. I use that with a cw, but @johninderbyhas pointed out that you don’t really need a cw (cw only required if there’s a chance the tripod will topple over). Not sure if that applies to a C11 tho.

• Like 1