SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

£3.55 scope chair.

Tiny Clanger

4 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

A small update to  show how the 'scope chair is evolving .  I completely forgot to post this photo after I took it a few weeks ago.  I added a padded headrest, after finding I could set the chair up with the front & back at an obtuse angle and use it as a sort of semi reclined binocular using seat, but I needed a head rest to make it comfortable.  Used this way the seat   goes on the lowest setting.

Because that extra horizontal near the top made the front section look out of balance, I added a low bar as well, which handily works as a footrest when the seat is set high . For no better reason than I was in carpentry mode , found a bit of shelf offcut the right size, and it looked right, an extra strengthening panel went on the back too.

You can't see this in the pictures, but I'd been using a bolt and wingnut to secure the strut which keeps the 'ladder' open and at a fixed angle when used with a telescope, but found it a bit faffy to set/undo in the dark, I kept losing the wingnut . In the box of oddments in the shed I found a small staple from a cheap hasp & staple ( intended for, but never used with, a padlock) and a spring loaded mini keyring type hook  which have replaced the bolt and make it much easier to just click the strut in place. I was thinking of how to adapt the strut length for binocular recliner mode, maybe add a cord , but my garden's grass is so bumpy there seems no danger of the chair legs sliding apart  !

chairpadded.jpg.82866a3f1425accf1fb54180a632c3c1.jpg

Heather

You have not got a diagram and item list have you I would like to make one of those please.

12 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

You have not got a diagram and item list have you I would like to make one of those please.

Sorry, I made it up as I went along, not even a 'back of the envelope' diagram, and apart from that one bit of wood from the DIY emporium, my materials list was 'stuff already lying around ' 🙂 .

If you check  Jerry Oltion's website http://www.jerryoltion.com/observing_chair.htm, which is where I drew my inspiration , he shows some decently detailed photos with dimensions.

Heather

22 minutes ago, boulderbelly said:

a folding mini table attached to the chair  for eyepieces too! ....but I'd rather have a hot cuppa on a cold night though! 

Why not both ? (with due care and attention to avoid any risk of dunking the eyepieces in the coffee  ...I can't afford those ES argon purged waterproof jobs unfortunately :evil4:   )

2 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Sorry, I made it up as I went along, not even a 'back of the envelope' diagram, and apart from that one bit of wood from the DIY emporium, my materials list was 'stuff already lying around ' 🙂 .

If you check  Jerry Oltion's website http://www.jerryoltion.com/observing_chair.htm, which is where I drew my inspiration , he shows some decently detailed photos with dimensions.

Heather

Thank you Heather much appreciated. 

Paul 

• Like 1

Just now, wookie1965 said:

Thank you Heather much appreciated. 

Paul 

I can measure my chair if you want any specific details Jerry O doesn't give, just ask !

I tailored the size of my chair to the height range of my  heritage dob eyepiece when the 'scope is used on a low table, and the fact that I'm about 1.72m tall. I imagine a wookie might  need a different range of seat heights  🙂

Heather