Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Watford

gidion

Hi all,

Just a quick hello from a new wannabe astronomer living near Watford.Currently 2 weeks into reading everything I can get my eyes on.Signed up for annual subscription of astronomy now and am in the torturous process of identifying what setup would be best for me.So far I am looking at a budget of £2000 to get me something portable, powerful and with the scope for future enhancements. Though I shall save all that for another post in the suitable place.

Thanks,Luke

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi luke and welcome,

just a viewer or an imager as well,

you will have plenty of choice just ask the members who will be more than happy to answer questions,

we have some fantastic imagers on here just look at the picture of the week images.

also first light optics as well.

regards ron.s.g

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. :(

Nice to see a hello from the people whose posts I've beenreligiouslyreading of late.

My current plan is to spend a portion of the £2k to get me a decent scope and basic mount (so starting with just viewing). Once I have spent some time with that and know my way around the sky/equipment then I would be looking at altering/adding to my set-up to move into imaging.

If the boss stops working me so hard today I shall post a little more detail in the equipment forums.

Hellibird, nice to know there are others so close to me. No flooding here thus far, how about yourself?

Luke

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. :(

Nice to see a hello from the people whose posts I've been religiously reading of late.

My current plan is to spend a portion of the £2k to get me a decent scope and basic mount (so starting with just viewing). Once I have spent some time with that and know my way around the sky/equipment then I would be looking at altering/adding to my set-up to move into imaging.

If the boss stops working me so hard today I shall post a little more detail in the equipment forums.

Hellibird, nice to know there are others so close to me. No flooding here thus far, how about yourself?

Luke

Not here. I bought this house at the top of a hill to avoid flooding.

'Over the hill and round the bend' that's me :)

Hi Luke,

A warm welcome to SGL, that's one big budget for starters, before going in at the deep end I would invest in a good pair of bins, red torch and star maps. A good way to start while deciding what to purchase. You might also be interested in the paperback " Star Ware " written by Philip.S.Harrington, published 2007. It is an extensive

guide to choosing, buying, and using telescopes and accessories. Whatever you do have fun.

Regds,

John.

Thanks for the advice glowjet.

I'm already armed with a pair of bins and "turn left at orion" is on its way.Have been using the star maps provided by astronomy now (though the sky hasn't been showing anything more than the brightest couple of stars of late).Stellarium was a bit of a let down. Tried to install on 3 different winXP systems now (laptop and desktop) but it just crashes on startup everytime.Using skymapp III instead because of those problems.

Hellibird, I too am on a hill so no flood worries there (although the wind can get a bit manic).

Stephen green, Youwouldn'thave happened to have worked for a large IT firm inLondon.....By the name of Logica?????

Hi Luke,

You recall I mentioned the author phil Harrington, if you look up his web site he has a free download of a star maps programme called TUBA. I have found these most usefull, either colour or black and white, can be altered to suit your own requirements, then printed.

Regds.

John.

Archived