Cassiopeia on the sun - Early Morning WL Solar 26/04/2021

AdeKing

I had a couple of nice WL and H-a solar sessions over the weekend and decided to set up for WL first thing so I can grab some views in between work throughout the day.

Very nice assemblage of sunspots visible looking very much like the W asterism of Cassiopeia in my opinion.

The spots are small, a couple of the larger ones with visible penumbra, but they spread across a fair amount of the disc.

Very nice to see activity building in WL again.

Here are my sketches, the first is whole disc, though I tend to find that I unintentionally exaggerate the size of the sunspots in order to record detail so the positioning and extent is approximate at best.

Second sketch was higher magnification to record more detail and get the relative positions and spacings more accurate.

The orientation marks show the direction the disc progresses through the FOV rather than the correct orientation of the disc.

Thanks for looking,

Ade

IMG_20210426_084047.thumb.jpg.189900ff9d92e4624948cec8723adabe.jpg

Edited by AdeKing
Details added
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• AdeKing changed the title to Cassiopeia on the sun - Early Morning WL Solar 26/04/2021
11 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Very nice sketch, Ade! I went out to observe them now and indeed they do look very much like Cassiopeia.

Thanks @Nik271 I couldn't believe the similarity, I'm pleased with the result even if the proportions aren't perfect.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Fantastic sketches Ade! Must try to catch these at lunchtime.

Thanks @Stu, not too bad a sketch for first thing in the morning. I see that you managed to grab a look too.

10 hours ago, Neil H said:

Great sketch , I also saw it amazing cluster ,Sunday was not bad too not as many but still I tight cluster 

Thanks @Neil H It was an amazing cluster wasn't it. I noticed it developing yesterday but it had evolved a bit overnight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neil H said:

Solar is amazing as it changes all the time , a few months back the sun spots changed 4 times in 3 hours brilliant 

This is exactly why I love Solar, it's so dynamic, I love watching it change before my very eyes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks @Stu, not too bad a sketch for first thing in the morning. I see that you managed to grab a look too.

I think I would have been too bleary eyed to sketch at that time! 😴🤪

Yes, once I saw how much activity there was I made sure I had a look. No chance today as have been busy and it’s been mainly cloudy but am glad I got the chance.

• Like 1