sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Taks - worth the premium over other brands?

20 hours ago, IB20 said:

I've been looking at refractor set-ups for about 4 weeks, I've flip flopped between 102mm and 80mms and more recently decided that 80mm was what I wanted. Then it was short faster APO vs slower achro but the budget just kept going up and up for diagonals and mounts. This is exactly what I have been looking for! Such weirdly perfect timing and looks the absolute business. Cheers for the heads up!

No worries :) It's a classic and classy looking scope. Should be a very good grab n go lunar/planetary scope, and maybe some doubles and brighter DSO's :) 

I've been away and read a couple of user reports and owners seem to love it for what it is. I can imagine chilling out under a waxing Moon with this scope, a hand full of Ortho's, and a glass of wine. I once wanted a bespoke Moonraker refractor for that role but I reckon this scope would also fits the bill!  

• Like 1
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an interesting thread and a nice reflection on the nature of the SGL community - on a different astronomy forum, this discussion might have descended into acrimony and thread-locking within th

A bit harsh Michael. For a smartphone shot it’s pretty good, any CA is likely to be either atmospheric or from the phone. I don’t think anyone is arguing that Taks are miracle scopes. Other premi

Just to upset all you refractophiles……. My Skywatcher 10” Newtonian gave way better planetary views than my FS128 😱

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

No worries :) It's a classic and classy looking scope. Should be a very good grab n go lunar/planetary scope, and maybe some doubles and brighter DSO's :) 

I've been away and read a couple of user reports and owners seem to love it for what it is. I can imagine chilling out under a waxing Moon with this scope, a hand full of Ortho's, and a glass of wine. I once wanted a bespoke Moonraker refractor for that role but I reckon this scope would also fits the bill!  

You’ve pretty much described how I intend to use it. I won’t neglect the 8” dob but it’s another tool in the armoury, especially for g’n’g sessions. 👍🏻

• Like 1