Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Taks - worth the premium over other brands?

20 hours ago, IB20 said:

I've been looking at refractor set-ups for about 4 weeks, I've flip flopped between 102mm and 80mms and more recently decided that 80mm was what I wanted. Then it was short faster APO vs slower achro but the budget just kept going up and up for diagonals and mounts. This is exactly what I have been looking for! Such weirdly perfect timing and looks the absolute business. Cheers for the heads up!

No worries :) It's a classic and classy looking scope. Should be a very good grab n go lunar/planetary scope, and maybe some doubles and brighter DSO's :) 

I've been away and read a couple of user reports and owners seem to love it for what it is. I can imagine chilling out under a waxing Moon with this scope, a hand full of Ortho's, and a glass of wine. I once wanted a bespoke Moonraker refractor for that role but I reckon this scope would also fits the bill!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

No worries :) It's a classic and classy looking scope. Should be a very good grab n go lunar/planetary scope, and maybe some doubles and brighter DSO's :) 

I've been away and read a couple of user reports and owners seem to love it for what it is. I can imagine chilling out under a waxing Moon with this scope, a hand full of Ortho's, and a glass of wine. I once wanted a bespoke Moonraker refractor for that role but I reckon this scope would also fits the bill!  

You’ve pretty much described how I intend to use it. I won’t neglect the 8” dob but it’s another tool in the armoury, especially for g’n’g sessions. 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 02/05/2021 at 09:46, dweller25 said:

Just to upset all you refractophiles…….

My Skywatcher 10” Newtonian gave way better planetary views than my FS128 😱

Depends on the refractor .... mine is better than my 12 inch SCT ... 😄

scope2.jpg

Looks like an old topic but no, Takahashis are not twice as good as their competitors. But their scopes are worth every penny you paid for them.

This hobby is plagued by diminishing returns, and that hits quick. A £400 8” Dob will show you most things an amateur scope can see. A £4000 setup, no matter what it is, will not show you 10 times as many things.

But say an Esprit 100 manages to be 80% of a FSQ at 1/4 the price, you cannot get the remaining 20% unless you pay the 3/4. There are alternatives, like a Borg 107FL F3.9 is probably 90% of a FSQ (it has issues with CA but is much lighter) and it’s 3/4 the price. Same with the TV NP-101is, presumably.

What you paid for the Tak went into quality control, better optics, reputation, and the exceptional build quality. Photos don’t do justice for how well built those things are. When you see it, even with how simple the livery is, you would know it’s expensive.

• Like 2