Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Recommended Posts

I really enjoyed the big prom today, especially the intricate parts of it between the two "horns". I got a lovely sense of depth with them. I imagine they'd be fun with a binoviewer - must start using mine again! And there was a nice bright patch by the limb.

As I no longer do imaging I have started to use my ED120 for visual white light. I've got it dual-mounted on a giro mount with the Quark in my trusty ED100. And I am now using the Baader Herschel Wedge for white light instead of the Lunt 1.25 in my ED100. I tended to use the Lunt partly because I was surprised how good it was for the price, but also because the Baader was a slight pain to use as I had it set up for imaging with an ND 0.6 filter instead of the 3.0 for visual. And it's a nice plus to now be able to use the Baader as a solar finder as well.

I am so happy I can use my two biggest fracs together on the giro mount. I assumed they'd be too heavy but my wife told me they were within the capacity. The ED120's view can vibrate a little when I move the scopes or adjust focus, but it's working well enough for me so I am chuffed about that. I might leave this pair out for the moon later if it stays clear.

I enjoyed the group of spots towards the centre and the ones over by the limb. And the lone spot was showing a pleasing bit of detail. I thought I could see granulation, though the viewing was not at its best today. I do find the Quark in the ED100 almost always usable in my typical conditions, though I did take a pause when it got particularly wobbly for a period and it steadied enough for me a bit later.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spaceweather is predicting a coronal mass ejection from the main active region later. This follows an earlier flare today from AR2816 which produced a minor shortwave radio blackout in Asia

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye, was out this afternoon for a spot of sun eyeballing (with the Lunt).  A really long filament just near the big horny proms (the bits between them reminded me of The Great Eye from Lord of the Rings - the Sun is watching!), two fun sunspots with long lighter patterns around them, plus I noticed two prominences (or would they be filaments?) eminating out towards us from the almost opposite corner from the horny proms.  Lots of smaller hairy proms down the bottom there too (from my point of view).

That pressure tuning knob makes all the difference, when there's so much activity going on at different levels it really feels like I'm revving a solar observing engine!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Great Pyramid of Giza prom. It looked decent here this morning with the faithful ED100 and the Quark. Seeing was not the best for white light but nice to see that smattering of spots again. I hope to view again this avo with a binoviewer, after having fun with it last night on the moon.

Thankfully the forecast is saying we'll get some cloud this evening, I need a break! April has been too kind. Far too kind!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

It looks like the Shark Fin Prom to me😄

Ooooh, I like that!

I didn't get around to using the binoviewer for solar today, alas. I particularly want to try white light as I think I am seeing better granulation with my ED120 and Baader Herschel Wedge vs my previous usual of ED100 and Lunt 1.25 inch wedge. I'm curious to see if the granulation pops more with the bino!

But today I thought white light was a bit unsteady our way so maybe not the best conditions for the bino. As tired as I am, I can't resist leaving the scopes out for the moon just in case it's clear early doors.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

I didn't get around to using the binoviewer for solar today, alas. I particularly want to try white light as I think I am seeing better granulation with my ED120 and Baader Herschel Wedge vs my previous usual of ED100 and Lunt 1.25 inch wedge. I'm curious to see if the granulation pops more with the bino!

I found that the Baader Coolwedge definitely showed fine detail abs granulation better than the Lunt, and binoviewing adds another dimension again. Much more relaxed, reduced floaters at higher power, more detail and better colour. Do you use a Continuum filter? I have mine permanently fitted and think it does boost contrast and visibility of granulation and faculae.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Stu said:

I found that the Baader Coolwedge definitely showed fine detail abs granulation better than the Lunt, and binoviewing adds another dimension again. Much more relaxed, reduced floaters at higher power, more detail and better colour. Do you use a Continuum filter? I have mine permanently fitted and think it does boost contrast and visibility of granulation and faculae.

Thanks, Stu, I look forward to trying it out. Reduced floaters would be a definite plus. I hadn't done much high power viewing since last solar cycle and a bunch of new floaters have moved in! I was thinking, "That sucks!"

I do use a Continuum. I think we've got three in total! We have a 2 inch one inside the Baader, which is nice so we don't have to swap from eyepiece to eyepiece. I think that's same as you then? I did try double stacking it with a 1.25 on the eyepiece thread! I expected it to make no difference, thinking it should just pass the same light. And as far as I could tell, it made zip difference.

Edited by Luke
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Thanks, Stu, I look forward to trying it out. Reduced floaters would be a definite plus. I hadn't done much high power viewing since last solar cycle and a bunch of new floaters have moved in! I was thinking, "That sucks!"

I do use a Continuum. I think we've got three in total! We have a 2 inch one inside the Baader, which is nice so we don't have to swap from eyepiece to eyepiece. I think that's same as you then? I did try double stacking it with a 1.25 on the eyepiece thread! I expected it to make no difference, thinking it should just pass the same light. And as far as I could tell, it made zip difference.

Yep, sounds like we have similar setups. I tend to barlow the binoviewer and use extensions to reach high power as I find it easier than using natively shorter focal length eyepieces.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.